Direct TV? Dish? Stick with TWC?

I know this was discussed a couple years back…

Since im leaving TWC and won’t get getting free cable etc I am looking to see if anyone else has good deals :tup:

Suggestions? I need HBO/Showtime and have to retain TWC for internetz since DSL sucks and FiOS isn’t here yet.

Direct tv has a deal going on if you get them lmk cause I’ll get $100 and so will you. They have a package deal 210+ channels and free hd and free multi room dvr and hbo and all nine yards for $30-$50 I can’t remember

Personally twc tv blows and dishes channels all look blurry

Directv support sucks dicks and the retard who hooked my system did it wrong. We would constantly get errors that the local stations weren’t part of our package, so we had to reset the box which takes like 15 minutes then it was fine for a few weeks. The lazy fuck also put the dish right in the middle on the back wall of the house too. I’d stick with TWC.

Never had a issue at all and their customer support hasn’t let me down, if anything they have hooked me up with free shit, can’t complain.

Did you factor in the $100/month extra cost when switching jobs?
You know… that 1200/year could make or break switching a company! :o

but hey, I switched companies only because the one I’m at now has more catered holiday parties and a friday treat table.

and on topic, DirectTV uses contractors to install their dishes. So you might get a good one, you might get a shitty one. I can refer you to a non shitty one if you want. But I think they just assign you one and you can’t specify.
I’m at a toss up between TWC or just getting an antenna. I have a few months yet to decide before I finish my house but I’ll make a decision one day. I’ve also been told you don’t really loose signal on dishes that often. However, on the days you DO lose signal are the days you want to watch TV. Like when it’s a bad snowstorm or really shitty outside.

Maybe they can hook you up with free shit too. Just complain about crappy service and yadda yadda… I’m sure you know the bit.

I hate TWC just because their rates keep going up. And I hate Syracuse even more because Fios is not yet available in my area. My vote goes for Direct TV.

DirecTV does contract all their work out. If you order online or call their 800 number mastec will get the job. I can’t speak for anyone but myself but I know when I do work I am not a hack. FYI I did return to work so if you live in my region I can do your install… I can’t do anything special to get you free shit though. That is all controlled from the west coast. People ask me every day to hook them up. What I can do is make sure your shit is put in right

I have a few months yet to decide before I finish my house but I’ll make a decision one day. I’ve also been told you don’t really loose signal on dishes that often. However, on the days you DO lose signal are the days you want to watch TV. Like when it’s a bad snowstorm or really shitty outside.

If you are building out a house for the love of god do not put splitters inside your walls and please run RG6 cable not RG59 like some of the ass hole contractors do. If installed correctly service rarely goes out. Just about everyone has DVR’s these days so it would be rare to be without something to watch + the on demand has a shit load of content and you do not need sat signal to access that I am pretty sure. Their customer service is usually amazing. Bill credits, free movie channels are what I usually hear customers when they have trouble. That said I have talked to some real shit bags on the phone but that just comes with having a huge company.

Their current promotions are pretty wild right now. 1 HDDVR and 3 HD boxes for free. There is a 5 tuner DVR that was just launched in this market last thursday PM me for details if you are interested. I went in for training for it but I have not had my hands on one yet. If that interest you I can see what it would take to get one. DirecTV will not be running any advertising for it for a few months so for the moment it is reserved for the “geek head”

edit: I have never used it but they advertise you can watch DTV on you phone and computer, They have a shit load of features that probably 1% of their customers use. NFL player tracker, game/new mixes, DTV apps… bla bla bla It is a great service but it is never the cheapest option.

also with dtv you get the football package if im not mistaken… also i was told all dtv technicians are to covert the systems to a swim system and use rg6 cables…

I would run to TWC/FIOS if it was available to me. Dish has sucked the big one since day one. The only benefit is it always goes out a few minutes before it pours rain, giving me notice to go close my windows. I’m always brushing the dishes off in the middle of every snowstorm too. My HD channels are always on the fritz, so I stopped using them during any weather that was less than perfect. Customer service has been fine at least, because I’ve had a ton of issues, which usually end up with every guy blaming it on the last guy that came out. I’ve just given up, I’m happy when I can just watch TV at this point.

I would say, ditch cable/tv service and go full download :slight_smile:

If you are not willing to do that, keep TWC but ditch all there shit gear and build a HTPC with HDHomerun Prime

not that it matters but it is no swim it is SWM (single wire multiswitch). New installs with HD service are installed using SWM hardware in most cases. Upgrades are case by case. If you are upgrading to MRV (multi room viewing) it has to be a SWM system, If you are just upgrading to HD from a older system chances are you will not get converted. It is to your advantage anyway as the old system has slightly better reliability. The honest truth on replacing your house wiring is that is it typically not necessary therefore if it passes testing on my meter your existing wiring will be used. The SWM system is much more tolerant to less than ideal cabling than the older system.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

DirecTV? get your shit realigned?

swm thats what it was my bad, i forgot the abbreviation for it, but yes i aggre. personaly i love dtv.

DirecTV customer here for many years…no complaints honestly. And I’m not a dickhead but also not the easiest going when I’m having issues. I suggested I was leaving them and they gave me a 12 month discount to stay etc…
HD looks better than TWC as far as I could tell.

I do use TWC for cable because I refuse to use Verizon and either way FIOS isn’t available in my hood.

Dish Network. They already did it twice, once because they didn’t secure it in the ground good enough and the wind supposedly moved it, and another time for some routine thing. That time I swear it got worse after they messed with it.

If I were going to go back to tv service I’d go DirecTV if Fios wasn’t available. A properly aimed dish rarely goes out (I was a Dish Network sub for 4 years) and the HD quality is way beyond that shit TW is trying to pitch as HD. Nothing against Dish Network (I was a happy customer when I left for the Fios bundle savings), but DirecTV just seems to be leading in the tech department. If the dish isn’t aimed right it’s easier to just re-aim it yourself than trust the contractor to give a shit about taking the time to do it right.

DirectTV has the HR34 now which is a 5 tuner box DirecTV's five tuner, RVU-ready HR34 DVR revealed, in addition the DirectTivo is now available, http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=199680

That is a drool inducing receiver (the HR34), one thing DirectTV has over Dish, TWC and VZ is you pay one DVR fee no matter how many DVR boxes you have.

My only gripe about Directv is that it takes anywhere from 4 to 12 seconds to change channels. I mean seriously WTF?!?!?

What box/model do you have?

Yea I factored that in…

Only thing that concerns me about DirectTV is the 2 year agreements.

I just spoke with some people at TWC about them starting a few new departments late next year which means I might be going back at that point.

I’m pretty interested to see what my TWC bill will next month I assume $250ish lol