DirecTv Users/Lovers/Haters, Come on In.

Currently I have everything that TimeWarner offers (short of DVR).

(4) Digital settop boxes, (1) HD Digital settop, Premier High Speed Internet, All of the Premium Channels… $190.xx / month
That includes the settop & modem rentals ($3 x 6 pieces).

High speed Internet will stay on, until Verizon comes through (Amherst near UB South). So thats $59.xx / mo.

With AdelphiWarner, bandwidth service (cable & data) is consistently “OK”. Premier digital channels drop out 2-3 times a month causing hard resets. However, these same services tend to “blink” out 2-3 times a week…This is getting to be too much.

With that being said, Who has used / is using Dish or Direct?

• What are Your general opinions with service consistency?
  • How user friendly is the software (program guide and such)? I have people in the house that need 3 weeks to learn a new remote.
  • How’s picture quality (digital & local channels)?
  • Finally, anyone know of any scarcely advertised promotions?
  • Still no Contracts?
  • Equipment to buy?
    Per the website - DirecTv is offering a Total Choice Premier Special - Discounted service for 12 months and a $rebate on the HD Settop.

1 DIRECTV® HD Receiver $99.00 Instant Online Rebate -$99.00
4 Standard DIRECTV® Receiver $0.00
1 Handling and Delivery Fee $0.00
1 Standard Professional Installation $0.00
Total Startup Costs: $0.00

Your First Month’s Bill
TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER $99.99
DIRECTV™ HD Package $9.99
4 Lease Fee $19.96
DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN $5.99
$22.99 credit for 12 Months -$22.99
First Month’s Total: $112.94

Once the promo is over, it’s $195/mo (DirecTv & RoadRunner). Is the switch worth $5/month extra?

I can do better. Check your PMs.

on zee way.

can I refer u and get 100 bucks?

If you’re using extra outlets then dish network FTW. I have the America’s Everything pack which is, well, everything they offer, on 4 TV’s, with DVR’s on all of them and local channels for $90 a month. No contract, free installation if you get someone to refer you ( i can do that)
no equipment to buy and picture quality rocks cable.

I’m ready to switch too. Last night’s bullshit with the Sabres game was the last straw.

My problem, I currently have a Time Warner HD Dvr.

What’s it going to cost me to get HD DVR, and 2 or 3 additional regular receivers on the various dish platforms?

Also, do any of them offer locals in HD? If not that’s enough reason right there to skip changing for now.

directv is getting local HD by the end of the year, but in the mean time a set of rabbit ears is all u need to get local HD.

Picture quality from both blows shitty cable away, no comparison, HD and standard.

The only reason i have directv over dish is dish does not have the YES network, but the programming is almost the same, dish does have all of those voom HD channels, but from what i hear they arent really worth it.

dish network is beter.

i am mostly happy with dish network with DVR ahd HD.

i do loose signal in bad weather.
as in heavy rain and snow…
snow does accumulate on the dishes as well.
nothing a couple of snowballs does not fix.

but, if there is a heavy downpour outside, its out.
and no more canadian stations with the local service.

but me saving $60/month (switched to DSL) its still worth it.

WRONG, well I can’t exactly say that. It’s only wrong if you like sports at all. Dish Network has very shitty Channel Selection compared to DirecTV. Hands down DirecTV has the better Channel Line-up for the price. DirecTV’s lowest package is 155 Channels plus your local channels for $44.99 a month. Not sure of Dish Network’s Price but I do know their lowest package starts with just 60 channels. If you like to enjoy watching television, you like sports at all, and have HD, Go With DirecTV. But if you do not watch a lot of tv and Sports and HD are NOT important to you than go with Dish Network.

And to (Nikuk) You should call DirecTV and ask some questions, (1-866-678-9471) that will get you right through. I think some of the figures you were quoted might be wrong, and you do not need the protection plan. I can explain it to you through a PM if you need to know why.

balls.

:tup:

I love Dish Network

A guy I work with loves direct TV

We all hate TimeWarner/Adelphia

Um, first of all, wrong.
#1 he wanted no contract, you cant get directv without one.
#2 If he spends $190 a month now, hes not likely to get the cheapest package. DirecTV can’t touch the America’s Everything package within $20 a month.
#3 compared to time warner, dish network’s sports channels are WAY better. In fact, other than the ability to spend $300 on NFL sunday ticket, theyre the same as DTV.
#4 Dish Network has just as many, if not more, HDTV channels than DTV.
#5 DTV screwed all of us who programmed our own with the P4/P5 cards so i’ll never actually pay them :stuck_out_tongue:

My friend’s dishnetwork goes on the fritz anytime it rains heavily (really heavily) or gets covered with snow. And guess who has to go out and brush the dish off when this happens?

Me.

But it’s better than sitting around and waiting for Time Warner to fix the cable I suppose.

#1 He asked about Contracts I didn’t see him say No contract anywhere.
#2 DirecTV’s Premiere Package is 260 Channels plus your locals. How many is Dish?
#3 Compared to Dish Network, DirecTV’s sports channels are WAY better. The YES network, The Met’s Network, TVG, And so many more I can’t even list. And NFL Ticket is no where near $300.
#4 How much is Dish Networks HD package, And do they offer a HD DVR?
#5 I work for DirecTV, Don’t tell me you stole from us. that’s taking Money out of my pockets.

2.) 239 channels, 84.99 a month or 89.99 with locals, $10 off if someone refers you
3.) most people don’t care about YES or the mets.
4.) $10 extra a month.
5.) I didn’t take any money out of anyones pockets, it was when I lived with the rents and they had digital cable, they wouldnt be subscribing anyway. if their satellites were broadcasting a signal that I just so happened to pick up from my house, oops. :lol:
6. NFL Sunday ticket, according to their website, is $250 or $350 for the Superfan version.

i’m not gonna turn this into a pissing match, i’m not actually trying to sell my company’s product. I was just in the same place that you were in August, and for the solution that I got Dish was $42 a month cheaper than DTV for comparable services, and both are much better deals than cable.

Agreed

basically im in the same boat… i have twc and i get the HBO’s and the medium internet and I have 2 DVR’s… the bill will most likely be around 140 when all is said and done… for comparable services

how much would Dish/Direct TV cost ? and verizon dsl or twc cable?

people who deal the stuff feel free to PM me… thanks
-will

We switched about a year ago from adelphia to DirecTV. Overall I’d say its pretty good. The biggest drawback right now is no local HD from the satellite. DTV has been saying its coming soon for a while now. A set top antenna works decent but its not the optimal solution. I don’t think I’ve had it go out in havy rain but sometimes it has in heavy wind and definitely if snow starts to stick to the dish. It really hasn’t given much trouble. I’d say the user inteface is pretty good, sometimes the guide doesn’t update correctly which is really annoying. The only thing I hate is we have no DVR. At the time there was a big rebate on only the plain HD reciever, I wish there was a way to upgrade to DVR at a cost similar to new subscribers.

i dont get why my posts keep getting deleted ha!

but anywho. i had direct tv for about 5 years before cable. and it wasnt bad until it would rain continuously for an hour or pour hard or snow. then the signal would freeze and be out for like 6 hours or until weather was good.

the only problem ive had so far with my digital cable was the hbo on demand not working at first but now works like a charm.