DirecTv Users/Lovers/Haters, Come on In.

That could only be due to shitty installation. Under any normal circumstances you would be in the same boat (Garick) just described.

I know everything, so I can’t be wrong.

Are you talking about the friday night game?

What was that bs?

I have basic tw cable (not digital), they started showing some stupid football thing for like five minutes right in the middle of the game.

Was that tw’s fault or was someone at msg drunk at the controls?

Satellite>TW

DirecTV’s only advantage over Dish is the Yes network. Other than that then it’s hands down Dish network. Dish is cheaper and has twice as many HD channels.

If you get a good installer then you will rarely lose signal. Cable television comes from satellite signals too so they would have the same problem if it was really that bad. Plus there’s no phone poles in space so you don’t have to worry about a truck knocking out your TV like what happened to TW during the Bills home opener.

if u want a HD DVR the new HR20 from direct tv is a horrible piece of equipment, check out reviews on circuit city, it freezes once a day, it pixelates ffwd and rwd, it doesnt do ATSC over the air and has a horrible interface

yeah if u call Voom HD channels.

sorry but Voom is total junk and shouldent be compared or lumped into the same sentance as HD.

My problem right now is I really don’t want to deal with an antenna for my local HD. I had an amplified indoor one out in my garage to get Fox since I couldn’t get it from Adelphia or Time Warner and it seems very unreliable. Since it’s directional I’d have to go out to the garage and re-point it each time I wanted to watch a different channel if I was relying on it for all my local HD. I refuse to mount a big ugly antenna outdoors or have an antenna in my living room. Guess I’m stuck waiting for Directv to get our locals in HD.

directv will have local HD channels by the end of the year, buffalo is not listed as getting them next.

Some of the Voom channels are pretty cool but i agree they’re not something that would make me switch to DISH. I don’t see HD locals coming to DISH in Buffalo anytime soon but i know a couple retailers that have seen success with the off air antenna and if you get the VIP you can record 3 programs at once on the same receiver.

Also, DTV is currently being sued for “HD LITE” programming since they downconvert everything. To top that off they knock off certain channels on Sunday to save bandwith for the Sunday ticket.

Yeah, I just found this list of cities that are getting local HD with directv.

Austin, Cincinnati, Greensboro, Las Vegas, Madison, Memphis, Portland ME, Portland OR, Providence, Reno, San Antonio

If I could find an antenna that didn’t cost a mint that would work for NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX without needing adjustment, that would mount in either my garage or attic, I’d probably switch. But since the vast majority of the stuff I watch is prime time HD on one of those 4 (mostly cbs), I just can’t switch unless I can get those in HD reliably and have the ability to dvr them.

I work for Dish. Television provider choice is all about personal preference. Everyday I hear, “I hate Time Warner” and “Direct TV sucks”. I also hear people knocking Dish. You can’t please everyone. Some people have had cable so long, they won’t even give satellite systems a shot.

For anybody interested here are some facts about Dish.

• You will need to sign a contract if you want to lease your equipment.
  • HD DVR is available for a non-refundable $200 upgrade fee ($100 mail in rebate brings it down to $100)
  • No YES Network
  • Sirius radio stations included in the Top 120, Top 180, and America’s Everything packages (includes Stern)
  • New systems are limited to 4 TVs (unless you want to mirror one picture on two TVs)
  • Local HD channels slated to be available in January (BuickGN is right though, Off air antenna HD locals > all

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

^^^^

This guy is good

After yet another time warner fuckup during the sabres game I got out the rabbit ears and started experimenting with the OTA HD. I can get 2, 4 and 7 without needing to adjust the antenna, which is what I have now for HD locals. So looks like I’ll be switching ASAP.

:slight_smile:

Did you ever get your receiver fixed/replaced??

I lease my equipment from dish and didnt have to sign a contract. The only difference was that I had to pay the 49.99 installation fee. you sure about that?

Yeah I ended up going to radio shack and buying a new reciever…been good since :tup: :knockonwood: But I will be moving in the summer so I will contact u to help aid in the move of my dish system.

Yeah Joe you are correct. My bad. I forgot about that. You miss out on a lot by not signing though. You pay the 49.99 act fee, you don’t get the free movie channels, the insurance (which really isn’t needed), the 30 day money back guarantee, and you don’t have the chance to get $100 off as a new customer rebate or the $100 HD rebate. Very few people actually decline the contract, because they give you a lot of reasons to sign one.

Edit: Not to mention, your billing rate is locked in as long as you don’t change programming (obviously) for the extent of the contract.

Yeah let me know.

I got the free movie channel for 3 months (which was just money off my bill cause i got the Everything pack) and the 100 off ($10 for 10 months) new customer rebate too. THe only reason i declined the contract was because it’s for a college house that we’re only gonna be living in for 10 months.

New systems are free for up to 4 TV’s but you can always purchase receivers outright and have up to 12 rooms.

Carbonfiber, do you work for DISH or a Dish retailer?