dish network, direct TV or Time Warner?

It looks like the new place I’m going to be moving into will let me get a dish if I want it. I honestly don’t care about HD programming (atleast until my broke ass can afford a nice HD tv). Looking for something inexpensive, yet still get alot of good stations.

which one would be the better of the 3? I’m thinking that TW isn’t even worth it… too expensive for even the basic package, not to mention internet on top of that. I’d want a DVR system with it… but other than that, I want the local stations and the basic cable channels (speed/discovery/scifi/ect).

hear of any deals going on or anything? I saw that dish network is now doing pre-paid services which is nice because that means no contracts to sign.

I know there are alot of a/v guys on here

i have dish network and its a lot better value for the $, as long as you dont want sunday ticket. I pay $90 a month for the Everything pack, which is, well, everything, and 4 rooms of DVR.
Also, direcTV requires a year contract to start service :tdown:

If you decide to go with them, PM me, i can give you a referral number for free installation and $5 off a month

I have Dish Network at home. I like it better than Direct TV as far not loosing signal as often and the “feel” of the menu’s. I have 2 dishes and 2 receivers. One receiver has DVR and supports 2 tv’s, the other receiver is just a basic one for one TV. I am still on a 12month special where I pay like $39 for the first receiver and $10 for the other each month. That includes all basic channels, local, discovery, speed, scifi, DYI (which I actually watch a lot, I am in love with the bathroom renovations chick for some reason), also have HBO, TMC, etc. Never had adelphia/Time Warner. Both Dish Network and Direct TV have specials for the first 10months-1year of service.

I have Dish Network at my place too and it has been great so far. Picture on everything is way better than cable and the only time I lost service was this past Thursday and the dish was covered in slush.

I work for DISH so i’m probably biased on this but it is definitely the cheaper of the three especially if you have a phone line to take out the extra room fees. Biggest downer is no YES Network if your a Yanks fan and no Sunday ticket. If you decide to go with DISH PM me and i can refer you to a good retailer since I handle the Buffalo/Rochester dealers.

IB4 Kevin rips on TW.

Right now I’m with TW because I want high speed internet and HD DVR, my locals in HD without dealing with an antenna and decoder, and last time I checked all the other providers hit you with a big equipment fee if you wanted HD DVR. Might be time to look around again though.

but what do u do about cable internet, whats ur bill like for the web?

steveo, just bribe one of your parents to buy another receiver on their dish plan, and just hook it up at your apt.

Thats what we do, its like five bucks a month or whatever.

We have the 29 dollar dishnetwork package, and its not the best, but its better than nothing. We don’t get msg or vs so we don’t get any sabres games, thats the only thing i really miss.

Directv > Dish > TW

I need YES so i prefer DTV and a real Tivo unit.

Best thing about Dish DVR is it works with 2 TV’s so you only get the $5.98 DVR cost once instead of for each individual TV.

really? I didnt know that

yeah, Justin… I think that might be the way to go… I honestly dont give a shit about baseball, so YES isn’t important. The rents do have NFL network though… good idea :tup:

anyone know if either a. you can get roadrunner without getting cable or b. DSL is available in williamsville? (sheridan/transit area)

best thing about Dish DVR is if you get it with the Everything pack its free.

u can get RR without cable, ive never had cable

Also, ive had dish in the past, its all about the programming, yes it has more HD, but most of it is that crap Voom they bought, which is not real HD to begin with. I liked Dish when i had it, but when they wouldent carry YES i switched, will i ever go back ,probably not, as I like my Tivo and all of its features, and they give me deals all the time for free shit.

awesome :tup: thats good to know

directv>dish network