my cable vs. dish/direct/etc thread.

there have been a bunch of these but I wanted my own because I have to decide before the end of the month if I want to lock in my current price with time warner. we have a bunch of people who know the deals.

here are my requirements

• monthly regular price bill of $60 or less after tax.
  • HD DVR (the best box that can handle two TVs ideally)
  • HD HBO
  • HD Speed
  • Comedy central
  • food tv
  • I don’t have a home phone, I will have road runner.

can it be done? how do I spec it?

If I can’t do this then I’ll be better off with time warner.

do you have all HDTV’s? Dish has a super cheap package that actually does just the HD channels that sounds like it might fit the bill. Either way, it can be done with them. How many SD and HD tv’s do you have?

I only have one TV (720p) I plan to upgrade to a second 1080p in a year or so. The problem I find is that each requirement tends to add a new package so I pay ton of a lot of things I don’t care about just to get what I want.

well, I have DTV with everything you want, minus the DVR and HBO (and add center ice) and my bill comes to around 50 a month (with a discount from the apartment complex)… so don’t think you’ll find a better deal than 60.00 a month

you could actually do it on Dish Network for $30 a month with HD DVR with free HBO Starz and Cinemax for the first 3 months if you didn’t need the HD speed, after the 3 months it goes to $45 and you lose the starz. (HBO is $15 a month and you get the cinemaxes for free) However, Speed HD looks to be your deal breaker til they launch it in HD because they don’t have it yet.

looks like I would need america’s 200 just to get speed TV… so even low def it’s never going to happen?

you could swing america’s top 200, HBO, and HD under your line with the $6 a month auto-pay discount and a $5 a month referral code from somewhere on here…

what about taxes? I’ll probably end up break even or a little worse. I guess I’ll try calling both later on and see what happens with my requirements.

looks like dish is not getting speed HD anytime soon… I really really like/want F1 in HD in realtime.

I just got some new referral coupons in the mail for Dish if you decide to go that way.

Dish prices include tax. The only thing tehy charge extra tax on on my bill is the $5.98 extra receiver fee. My $80 a month package is $80.48.

I need my travel channel too!

just called dish and got them to sent an email quote… thoughts (can this be improved?):

AT 200 with locals for 49.99
With high definition 10.00
Total of 59.99 plus 2 or 3 dollars for you local sales tax.
One time fee of 79.99 with a 50 dollar credit back to you on your first bill. Plus 30 dollars with referral program.
24 month commitment.

Call 1-877-828-3474 or my direct line shown at the bottom.
Brittany Whelan
Customer Service Representative
Altitude Marketing
(716) 625-8555 ext. 842

just called direct TV and they’re were EVEN WORSE!!!

the guy just continued to read his little script to me when even when I told him my list of requirements.

then when he can’t do any better than $70 a month he start explaining the difference between a honda and a mercedes to me! no joke… I can pay this much a month for a honda or blah blah blah… “sir, I dont talk payments with a car dealer, I offer to split holdback, I think we’re done for today”

I don’t want to steal Aaron’s thread, but I could use some help too.

My most recent TWC bill was $163.48 for roadrunner (no fios around me yet), 2 hd dvr sets, hbo, showtime, hd etc. I think I get every channel other than cinemax and telemundo.

What is my best option? I was thinking directv a little while ago and waiting for fios to comes for internet since I already have verizon phone. All I really need are HD movie, HD sports, and then all of the news channels etc.

And I’m i Buffalo vs Rochester in case that makes any difference.

that dish quote is standard but take off $5 a month for autopay, $5 for referral code, add on cinemax for 1 cent a year (included in the autopay deal), and take the 3 free months of HBO and Starz.

EvoMR, price out the channels you’d be looking for on dishnetwork.com. Sounds like for that price you could get the Everything pack :pimp: And if either of you end up deciding to go with them, hit me up for a code. I’ve given out a lot on here that no one ever used so i have plenty.

they told me it’s one time $30 off for referral and $5/mo for the person who refers me.

If HD is important to you then go with DirecTV, the channel line-up and HD quality is way better than Dish Network. If not go with Dish Network. Just stay away from Time Warner/Cable. And I doubt you will get what you want anywhere for less than $70/month.

Thanks. I’ve had enough of Time Warner. I just wish FIO would come and I could be completely done with them.

Source? Dish has added a bunch of HD stuff and their lineup is pretty similar to DirecTV now. Each has some HD the other doesn’t, the ones I’d like Dish to get that DirecTV has would be Spike, FX and Speed. Quality wise I can’t see a difference between my neighbors DirecTV and my Dish Network, though both look much better than Time Warner.

As far as HD DVR hardware goes Dish > *. I was all ready to jump to Fios until I saw how their DVR was compared to Dish. I’d rank them Dish > DirecTV > Fios > * > Time Warner. Honestly, TW should be sued for even using the name DVR on that pile of shit hardware and pile of shit user interface they call a DVR. Force them to call it DVR-lite or DVR-shit or something.

funny you say that… all of my requirements are met with timewarner for under $60/mo. (my total TW bill is $114 w/ taxes and roadrunner incl.) and the HD image is good… after everything it looks like I’m forced to stay with them… I don’t want to pay more just to get more things that I don’t care about.