Time Warner vs. Verizon vs. DirecTV... My only options

Yes I searched, the threads I came across were just bitch sessions about how terrible all three are, but which is the less of evils?

Let’s start with the TV:

I don’t want 200+ channels, I’d rather pay for a NetFlix subscription, but I DO want local channels. So I see both DirecTV and TWC offer 20$ packages per month for local channels, but isn’t there a box you can buy at the pharmacy for 20$ as a one time fee that will just give you this? I guess the only downfall of this is there is no DVR to record shows correct? When I lived at home I paid 200$ a month for DirecTV for the household, but that’s because my parents were movie junkies and it was every channel possible, so DirecTV is all I know with TV.

Suggestions please!

Now internet:

One of my other bills for my old household was internet. I paid 45.99 a month for a terrible 2.5 MAX Mpbs through Verizon DSL. So I checked out their site and I have to get a landline. And since my home isn’t far from my parents (both Cheektowaga), I’m guessing I’ll experience the same speeds. Fios is not available at my address.

But this is the part that confuses me, I checked out TWC and for 34.99 a month with NO landline I can get speeds of up to 15Mpbs, 6x what I’m used to having. So why would anyone else get Verizon if this option is available in basically the same neighborhood? Apparently I can get up to 100 for 80$ which I won’t need but just saying. If I pay 34.99 a month am I actually going to get 15? The verizon I paid for was between 1 and 3 so I guess 2.5 is fine.

I also plan on buying my own modem, why would I pay 6$ a month to rent someone elses modem when I can just buy one for a one time fee.

So I’m looking for the best options for :

Local Channels & Internet

I’m not sure if it makes a difference but there’s already a Dish on top of my house.

And of course if anyone on here works for either company I’m more than happy to give someone business.

Thanks.

I you only want local tv channels pick up a HD antenna and never pay a cable bill. As far as internet do you play games? or just surf the web and watch videos? If your going to be using netflix i would go with the TWC Turbo internet and only worry about 1 bill.

Because a good modem is $100+ and if something happens to your $6 a month one they replace it for free.

Whatever speeds you pay for you will get with TWC.

Call TWC you probably get package pricing on TV + internet

If you DVR and don’t want to pay TWC go buy a Tivo or something along those lines

Thanks for the quick reply.

buy a Motorola Surfboard 6141, get whatever speed internet you want from Time Warner. Hook your TV up to the cable line. Scan with your Tuner for digital channels. You should get your locals plus PBX plus FOX etc in high def still, profit

http://www.staples.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-3-0-Cable-Modem/product_61872

if you look around you can get a $25 off $75 coupon for Staples

Umm you can get a SB6121 (which is Docsis 3.0) for 70 or a SB6141 for 90, the lease really is waste of money that adds up over the years. I never had a modem die on me when I was a TWC Sub.

• Updated - - -

If all you want is locals, get a Antenna. If you can mount a one, I would suggest the Antenna’s Direct DB4E or DB2E from Amazon, you can check https://www.antennaweb.org for tower placement but the other simpler ones should work fine. If you want DVR functionality you can use either Windows Media Center with a tuner card or just get a Tivo.

For internet only plans, Starter or Turbo should be fine for most use cases, might even be able to get away with Basic or “Everyday Low Price” one. Also you are correct VZ DSL is just not worth it, the service speeds are terrible, only would ever get it if I lived in rural area that didn’t have TWC. Also that land line requirement is a lie by law they have to offer “naked” DSL which is no land line.

I have tmc and im happy w it. I bitched about the price for an hour and now saving 20 bucks a month.

I mi also lease the modem… Should buy my own as listed above this post.