Calling Engineers (turbo idea)

My idea/theory is based off of freewheel on a bike. On a bike, if the wheels can travel faster then the person pedaling a bike, they will. But when they can’t the person will pedal the bike.

My idea is to modify the turbos center section and place a freewheel there. Now add a belt driven from the motor. The engine will drive the turbo at lower RPM’s till the turbo can spin fast enough to generate boost on its own. Also, once the turbo takes over by itself, the engine won’t be under load because it won’t be driving the turbo.

There may need to be gear ratios to get the engine to drive the turbo allowing the boost in the lower RPM’s.

Is there a downside to my idea? I can’t find one but I’m not an engineer.

like a clutch unit? similar to the ones on an A/C unit.

I don’t know how to explain it better then like the freewheel on a bike. Its not something you would turn on and off.

Mercedes benz already has a clutched supercharger, and many others have done twin charging, your view is neither new nor innovative.

you mean like a clutch … ie: the car in Mad Max … had a roots type twin screw with a clutch on the snout pulley

QFT

yes-

belt driven compressor wheels and exhaust driven compressor wheels are not the same.

turbos spin at 100k rpm, cenfrif. superchargers spin at a MUCH lower speed

also, the massive extra weight of parts needed on the shaft in the turbo, and the fact that the center section gets hot enough to coke the oil, so a belt definantly wont live in there

plus your realy going to limit turbo placement

and the sideload of the belt will require different (larger and heavier) bearings because the shaft will no longer float-to-center on the tiny bearings turbos have

your basily trying to twincharge an engine, but your combining 2 types of forced induction that cant be combined

somebody get the pic of the car in Mad Max

Hotrodkid covered the bases.

The turbine impeller needs to be strong and LIGHT.

adding mass adds inertia which SIGNIFICANTLY slows down response.

You need to study turbochargers and the conditions under which they operate before thinking of redesigns. Its cool that you are thinking and you should continue to do so.

Look at the Toyota Supra SEQUENTIAL TWIN TURBO system

It does what you want in a more practical fashion

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/NjccBflo/Mustang/07_Mad_Max_Car_at_Silverton_Hotel2C.jpg

Thanx Nick …

HotRodKid was the only one to really reply to what I was thinking.

you would NEED a clutch system on the center section like the rest of us said to make this happen, and would not be cost effective as a single unit.
too complicated, and with too many parts leaves you with a lot of possibilities for failure.

Why a clutch instead of a simplified design like a freewheel.

how do you plan to engage and disengage this flywheel?
there is a reason MB uses the electro magnetic clutch on there sc.

the other issue is lube and cooling the cartridge.

Do you know how a freewheel works on a bike? You said flywheel. I don’t know if you’re mis reading what I’m writing or just confused.

there have been several attempts at coming up with a reliable super-turbo/turbo-super system by a few different companies, and iirc there have actually been a few working models, but it never seems to have caught on. I’m assuming there are problems that havent been figured out yet

yes, i understand it. i just miss typed it while i was do 3 other things at the same time.

do you have any idea how fast a turbocharger is spinning? this is not going to work. i cant see it flying apart the first time the “freewheel” engages and throws off the balance.

cool idea, but variable vanos turbos are more efficant in terms of moving parts, cost, realiabiltiy, and size constraints (not to mention they complete the same objective as your idea)…

keep thinking, dont get discouraged… and when you have a great idea, that you think is origional, invest! :tup:

This idea actually has been thought of before. :wink:

It’s not a bad idea by any means just he way you are going about it is the typical.

Depending on the design of the center sections clutch system it would NOT hinder performance the way you are all thinking.

It’s been calculated out. the key is the type of clutch unit