Calling Engineers (turbo idea)

i am an engineer… BSE with concentration in Electrical. More broad degree than BSEE. Includes more mech and civil studies.

no one mentioned the overall diameter of the parts being discussed so tangential speed doesnt really need to be considered yet. plus ive abandoned the though of making the turbo spool assist device for the cvt driven commercially available supercharger idea.

i dont want the centrifugal clutch, just the drive system. rather than the force of the motor/weight of the sled and the ramps of the pulley forcing the belt out, (at least on the sleds that i looked at) id want to use a hydraulic piston to control it… I could use something like a jeep clutch slave cyl but id need more travel.

Brian

exactly, people are saying bearings are capable of X rpm and not defining a working diameter; simply pillow talk. A given bearing design is rated by linear speed, capacity is then a function of load and diameter.

right, the balls can only roll so fast before they slide/gouge the race.

Brian

or create soo much heat they just fuse to the race lol…

it has more to do with the lubricant boundary layer thickness, but yeah.

I am a theoretical physicist and quantum engineer with 18 years of on the job experience with particle accelerators. (on a side note my gym teacher said I was the best dodge ball player =)) Anyways I believe that Carnut is god, Newman should go back to school, and I should go back to work on the newest top secrete hypersonic personal commuter plane. I am essentially god so if you need any question answered in the universe don’t be afraid to ask, I will try not to flood your small, petty, and measly brains with my extreme knowledge, because if you only could comprehend a mere thousandth of my knowledge you would overload and your head would explode. Henceforth 35 years ago when I started my research on bearings and their applications to turbochargers I found that if your cryogenic freeze fluid is topped off you should not have an issue…

:barf:(my comment)

lol

However I did enjoy reading this and as i stated before, variable vanos turbo do the same thing, are much more efficient, and have far less moving parts…

pce!

srsly?! I’m completely envious, I get bored and read anything I can find about this. I taught myself linear algrebra and some other mathematics to understand some of the things I was reading…

:tup:

variable vane turbos are not the perfect solution, though. while they can help with things, changing the hotside A/R and leaving the compressor unchanged really isn’t that efficient, because at low RPM you are way outside the adiabatic efficiency zone of the compressor.

true, but in Honda’s application, they also alter there timing and don’t forget that both the intake and exhaust camshafts have 2 different profiles, it may not be adiabatic efficient, but your getting low amounts of boost and keeping the intake valves closed more also during low RPM and not wot thus improving fuel economy and smoothing out the transfer from in Hg to psi, because in a perfect world (or race application) you want to be in boost asap, but in a daily thats not necessary and or practical…

with the exception of when i mentioned RPM, i’m not talking about anything other than the turbo. At low cfm the compressor is going to be inefficient.

just use a little squeeze. problem solved. you’re welcome :slight_smile:

even on dry ceramic? i admit, though im no fool, im not the expert on bearings. :slight_smile:

brian

Again… dont know if this was directed at me or others- but I also happen to have just short of 4 out of 5 years of Masters/BSME under my belt before I had to make a decision as to what I really wanted more in my life at the time.

Not necessarily directed at Newman: But that aside, the “bearing” type I am refering to- the sprags dont actually roll, they slip on an oil film when not engauged. The shaft diam. of an average Turbocharger is not that far off the specific examples I listed, so an RPM based comparison is a fairly accurate one. Figuring that there is going to be a max rotational speed differential of less than 3x from its known current applications, probably far less most of the time, its not an “out of this world” comparison. I also feel its ability to support the needed torque is a much more important specification at this time than its lifespan at high shaft speeds. The higher shaft speed in relation to the released sprags should also pull in lubrication increasing the oil film thickness and actually cause the sprags to move away from the shaft. If anything, I would be more concerned about centrifugal forces acting on the sprags at higher RPM’s preventing them from reengauging the shaft until you pass a lower RPM threshhold on the mechanically driven side of the system.

I’m going to go throw my .02 cents in and with the dollar going down, isn’t worth much. And I will say that I’m big and stupid, and I’m not even big so that narrows me down to being stupid… and I’ve been drinking scotch. Good scotch if that’s worth anything.

So on the original Idea of the freewheel thing. Why does it have to be clutched. wouldn’t spinning the exhaust side faster as well help “pull” exhaust out and kinda help the damn thing spool faster anyway? And if that’s the case what about having the whole mess powered by fluid and an electric pump. Go wide open and a little pump provides however many hundreds of psi of oil to get the bastard child spinning like my mothers head when she flips to the angry side of the pole. When the engine catches up to it and takes it up the 100k mark or so the pump changes from high pressure to higher volume so whatever lubrication it needs is met. And then if the pump breaks then it just acts like a normal turbo again. Something like this was actually talked about a few years ago in Sport Compact Car in the Dave Coleman engineer nerd corner. He said something about an oil driven turbo was in development somewhere by someone.
So if that makes sense to anyone kudos to you, sometimes I don’t even makes sense to myself ( carnut can personally attest to that )
If this whole thing doesn’t make sense ( which it probably won’t to me when I sober up ) sorry it’s tough concentrating on the two screens I see.

Peace bitches.

Scotch FTW. I’m a Dewars kind of guy, what are you?

I was finishing my bottle of Laphroig. Some of my favorites are Lagavulin, Talisker, Oban or in general any Islay or Speyside single malt.
I don’t fuck around with blended scotches anymore, I got spoiled too early in life.

lol. that is all :stuck_out_tongue: