Camaro V6 vs. Mustang V6 (wintertime internet racing)

I know the discussion is dwindling but, the GM Series II 3800 is a tough ass engine. Hell, if guys are putting 600WHP through one I think one with cheater mods for a road race car would def. handle the abuse.
Heads on the 3800 really isnt that great. Man, I cant add to much insight since its supposed to be stock…lol

Do they allow for a new diff? A good lsd would be a must in either if allowed.
I think the camaro would be the better all around (of course I’d say that), however the mustang has a strut type front suspension and you can better negative camber from it (stock). If you can do any adjustable suspension parts up front, or even offset bushings, you can claim that back on the camaro.

Part availablity is awesome for both. The v6 camaro’s are cheap. The v6 is a great motor (gm 3800) .

I would personally go with the mustand and do a 4.2 splitport swap on it.And Dr.Stevil is correct on the M90 blower.And it truly is a waste of time and money.IMHO.

Pick up the mustang.Throw some 3.73’s in it and your good to go.Hell I’ve seen stock 3.8L 190bhp Mustangs run low 15’s at NYI.So they have decent power already.My mother also owned one.The car was decent for a daily but if I got stuck with it and it’s V6 motor I would throw a 4k stall on it just to give it some off the line go.

I don’t think half the people either read the question, or understand the question.

For ITR, the Camaro would be the better bet if you could get it to race weight. If not, the Mustang would be the favorite for more technical courses because of slightly better “handling”.

[quote=“rushman,post:22,topic:39257"”]

Do they allow for a new diff? A good lsd would be a must in either if allowed.
I think the camaro would be the better all around (of course I’d say that), however the mustang has a strut type front suspension and you can better negative camber from it (stock). If you can do any adjustable suspension parts up front, or even offset bushings, you can claim that back on the camaro.

[/quote]

Yes, and any final drive may be used in stock pumpkin. Tranny gears must stay stock.

And bushing are unrestricted, so offset bushings are fair game.

[quote=“95xbird,post:23,topic:39257"”]

I would personally go with the mustand and do a 4.2 splitport swap on it.And Dr.Stevil is correct on the M90 blower.And it truly is a waste of time and money.IMHO.

Pick up the mustang.Throw some 3.73’s in it and your good to go.Hell I’ve seen stock 3.8L 190bhp Mustangs run low 15’s at NYI.So they have decent power already.My mother also owned one.The car was decent for a daily but if I got stuck with it and it’s V6 motor I would throw a 4k stall on it just to give it some off the line go.

[/quote]

Please read the first post. No swaps, no blowers.

No automatics allowed in road racing. Besides it’s all roll racing, don’t need a siq stall to get off the line.

I would take the mustang…being that power and weight are close enough to where they kind of negate each other in different ways…driving both a mustang and camaro at high speeds I felt more stable and planted in the Stand…get a notchback and the overall size makes it a more agile car in my opinion so Stang would bemy choice

Please read the first post. No swaps, no blowers.

No automatics allowed in road racing. Besides it’s all roll racing, don’t need a siq stall to get off the line.[/quote]
Ok ok,I skimed alot of the thread.Are bolts ons acceptable??The 3.8 Splitport is not a bad motor.You can make it perform decently.

And when I mentioned a stall I was only saying if I owned the one my mom had (04’ Auto 3.8)I would throw a stupid high stall on it.

oooooooohhhhh.

The Camaro has much better suspension geometry out of the box than the Mustang, obviously the SCCA factored this into the minimum weights as the Camaro is heavier. From what I have read what is needed in order to get the Mustang to handle is illegal for IT anyway, you have to relocate all the rear suspension mounts. Engine power will be similar I would guess, but based on the handling alone I would go Camaro, there is also a large aero advantage, the Mustang is about as aerodynamic as a brick. And then you have bigger brakes on the Camaro too.

IMHO Camaro wins, hands down.

Good call on the rear suspension Mike. Forgot about that on the mustang.

BTW, Jeremy, go post on frrax.com for info regarding the camaro and IT.

[quote=“eMKay,post:29,topic:39257"”]

The Camaro has much better suspension geometry out of the box than the Mustang, obviously the SCCA factored this into the minimum weights as the Camaro is heavier. From what I have read what is needed in order to get the Mustang to handle is illegal for IT anyway, you have to relocate all the rear suspension mounts. Engine power will be similar I would guess, but based on the handling alone I would go Camaro, there is also a large aero advantage, the Mustang is about as aerodynamic as a brick. And then you have bigger brakes on the Camaro too.

[/quote]

Didn’t know about the rear suspension.

In that case, I’ll vote for the Camaro.

[quote=“eMKay,post:29,topic:39257"”]

[/quote]

good info there. i’ll vote for the firebird because i hate camaro’s.

trans am

[quote=“rushman,post:31,topic:39257"”]

BTW, Jeremy, go post on frrax.com for info regarding the camaro and IT.

[/quote]

Yup, was going to mention that as well.

[quote=“dirtye30,post:34,topic:39257"”]

trans am

[/quote]

did they make a V6 Trans Am?