Camber Question

Recently i got myself the d2 racing coilovers for my 93 240. Everything was fine. The other day i noticed that the camber on the front driver side was way negative and on the passenger side it was basicly 0 if not a little on the positive side. At first i thought the top mount camber plates had slid after a hard turn due to being loose, but they were in the same position (i did take a really hard corner in the direction that is consistant with change in camber, that resulted in an embarrassing amount of understeer and a scarry noises that made me shutter). I checked all the steering/wheel mount components and nothing seems to be broken or bent. To even out the camber I had to adjust the camber plates to opposite extremes of each other and that still wasn’t enough.

Finally my question. Can anybody tell me some possible causes for this? Is there any type of camber adjustment in the linkage that may have slipped? If anyone could help me out (i’m kind of new to the game) it would be appreciated.

Did you get an aligment done yet?

just because you set the camber plates at the same setting on each side does not mean you have the same amount of camber on each side

get an alignment

Thanks for the replies. I haven’t gotten an alignment yet but it wasn’t like this when the new suspension was installed. I drove around for a while and it was fine. I know an alignment is needed and i intend to get one soon. Is camber and caster and all that part of a basic alignment or do i need to specify this when i go in?

unless you specify what you want they will align to factory spec

It could be slotted holes on the coilover. Some coilovers have extra camber adjustment on the lower mounting holes. One hole is slotted a bit to allow the spindle to slide in or out. Maybe the D2s have this and the bolt slipped?

I will tell you what we do at my shop.

-cars are brought in for only 4 wheel alignments unless specified.

-cars are set to the factory settings!!! you want somthing eles bring in a piece of paper saying camber caster and toe in for each side. As long as you dont have some lazy ass mechanic doing the job they will have absolutly no problem doing this.

-when a car is brought in all settings are checked caster, camber and toe. just to be safe make sure you specify that you are actually getting all these things.

-If you set your camber plates equal on all sides that will not mean you have equal camber…

• the last and most important thing if you are not happy with the job DO NOT TALK TO THE PPL IN THE FRONT ask to speak with the dude that wrenched on your car… 90% of the time the front ppl do not know anything, so just have a word with the mechanic he will prob be able to tell you wants wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks for the help. There is a slotted hole on the mount and that is what slipped. Thanks again.