Can anyone trace a phone call??

If anyone knows how to trace a phone call its really important. please let me know throug pm’s or here.

if you have the number, you can use google. but other than that, I can’t help…

number is unavailable.

pm me the number

I don’t think that’s happening, pops.

I believe there is a form you can submit with your phone provider and they can trace it. You have to call the company up. Cell/land line lines are logged so the data is there. I know Police can get the data for harassment cases/ ect. If the person you get on the phone is a dummy call again. Call the cops and ask too. If you know a Popo they might hook it up.

cool, thanks, Ill see what I can do.:tup:

I was not successful in tracing an unavailable phone number last year. Verizon wouldn’t/couldn’t help and I even put a report in with my local police department. Nothing happened. :frowning: Good luck. Luckily my calls just stopped happening one day. Both recommendations were to change my number. I didn’t want to have to change my phone number that I have had for years.

verizon wont help with tracing unavailable numbers… ive tried and they say the number doesnt get logged when it comes in as unavailable.

if it’s a cell phone number it’ll take time, if it’s just unlisted that’ll be a lil easier.

Verizon won’t budge

they also won’t tell you the number

They can, however, do this traceback thing.

i forget what you dial but if you do it enough (@ $5 a pop) they have to do something if the same guy is calling you.

try *69 next time it happens. Then tell them that you have the police already working getting to them. That’ll get it to stop.

if it coems up unavailable hitting *69 is jsut a waste of 75 cents

*69 doesn’t work for unavailable numbers.

Not *69

I think it’s *59 or something, call “trace”

look it up

*57 - call trace
*69 - call return

I don’t remember the assoc. costs.

edit per google: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11028

As a potential stalker, there may be a more potentially serious thing to be concerned about… ALthough it is all too simple to obtain, my concern is reinforced because the person knows your family names and cell numbers. Unless things have changed drastically, the US telco companies are legally limited & restricted in what they can do - publically - for you. In other words, they solely recommend or offer to block the caller. Talk with their abuse department.

I would also consider involving law enforcement. In any case, you and your family are your strongest advocates. THINK about any disgruntled “friends, boyfriends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.,” who would know moms cell and everyones names. Try and assess who they might be targeting (you, your sis, your mom). Does the caller sound like they are calling from BOTH a land-line a/o a cellphone? Any distinct background noise (e.g., car noise, horns, traffic, radio, TV, silence, background conversations, background telephone ringing, etc)? What time(s) of day or night do they call and NOT call (e., 8-12, 1-5, etc)?? What is the display on your moms cell phone?

To help determine possible patterns, keep a running record of times, dates, conversations, noises etc when they call. Consider getting a phone tape recorder. It is likely you may be able to call them back via various traditional methods (e.g., "call return-*69, call trace-*57, etc). Assumming you in the US and your caller does not have a technical understanding of how phone systems works, when you re-dial the “last called number” the (DTMF) tones can be recorded & decoded, thus giving you the callers phone number… Although this type of info is only privey to the carrier’s engineers, both cell and POTS technologies can readily identify the phone number(s), the subscriber (caller?) name, their billing address a/o physical location (cell tower).

Again, with my very limited perspective on your circumstances, I believe I would personally go a step or 2 further than just having the telco block the caller. This may only mask the problem and accelerate or potentially aggrevate the caller/prankster. Also, as I communications designer, l have worked with some providers, several law enforcement and public safety agencies however, I am NOT in law enforcement nor do I consider myself an authority handling this type of problem… I tend to be rather straight-fwd and persistant on reaching real/final resolution. In any case, hopefully, some of this verbage I offered will help empower you & your family to rid yourself of this jerk. Pls feel free to contact me if you need specifics on the how-to’s. I

Good Luck,

P2E

Quote:

i think if you call your phone provider, you can tell them that you dont want to accept private numbers and if their number is private, they have to dial *87 then your number, that will allow you to see their number

another good point…

I know a few people with this ‘block’ on their phone.

anoywho.com and do the reverse lookup…and pm sending because i may have another way of helping ya out…

edit: i think i read wrong…do you have the number and need to find out who it leads to? or did it show up unavailable and need to go from there?

read the fucking thread. thats twice ya noob.