Can wholesale dealers sell to the public?

I didnt think they were allowed but I called about a couple cars listed on craigslist and they said they were wholesalers?

I thought wholesalers could only sell cars to other dealers and or at auction?

any “dealer” can sell to the public but they have to offer warranties etc just like a retail store. They probably bought the cars wholesale and are flipping. post a link.

hmm…

I’ve always wanted to get a wholesale license and just flip cars on craigslist, wantad, ebay ext but someone told me im not allowed to do that unless im retail??

Dealers can sell to the public, but wholesalers can sell only to other wholesalers, dealers, and at auctions.

Unless they have a dealer license, they cannot sell to the general public.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/2779237784.html

http://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/2760474935.html

Thats what I thought… but check out the links i posted… Both of those ads are wholesalers, not retail dealers… how are they able to sell to the public?

The only way they can legit do that is if they have a dealer friend willing to process the sale. Either that or that person has bought the car from a dealer friend, paid the taxes, and is selling it again. Believe me, I wish there was a way around it, but I have 3 cars that I want to get in my name to sell privately, but don’t want to spend the money to pay the taxes on them when I purchase them.

sucks… There would be serious loot to be made if you could buy wholesale and sell immediately online/private party… I guess its still worth it to just title it and resell when title arrives if the purchase price was cheap enough… What does a dealer have to do to “process” the sale for someone?

As a previous wholesaler/dealer we used to buy most of our cars from dealers rather than the auctions. Dealers would get something decent in on trade call me I’d come scoop that maybe sell them something I had and then be on my way. Flip the dealer trade in and sell it to some moron

word, seems like the auction sucks lately… Fucking 99 civics with 100k going for like $3k when I can get them on craigslist all day long for half that… Who did you flip the cars you got from the dealer trade in to? Other dealers?

A dealer would have to own the car, put it in all their books, collect the sales tax on the car and pay it to NYS later on, AND ,if the vehicle has less than 100k on it, offer a warranty on it. Oh, and pay income taxes if any money was to be made off the sale of the car.

There’s not much money to be made at auctions either. Like SRS said, you’re better off buying from a dealer that you trust has good trades.

Most of the time other dealers sometimes the auction but I know a few people saw the cars at our little shop and bought them directly from us. We did have a dealers license too though. My biggest point was you want some good deals befriend one of the bigger dealers some of the trade ins they get are gold mines

word.

you wouldn’t believe some of the stuff that comes in to a dealer that they give 1k for on trade but it’s easily worth 3-4k on cl.

i worked at infiniti for 2 yrs, I DEF know lol… I cant understand why people even trade there shit in… Infiniti wouldnt offer SHIT on trade and then theyd actually sell the shit wholesale for cheap too.

I actually submitted the paperwork to get my wholesalers license yesterday.

It’s dome allllll the time . Wholesalers just use a retail dealers books lol . I did it a lot when I wholesaled , most of the time people.are none the wiser and don’t even know that legally they had a warr .that and not all trade ins actually got booked so in a legality it was a open title

John you might wanna check statutes of limitations before posting that info up. :rofl

we can sell wholesale cars to pubic but its not worth the chance of trouble.