Capitalism >>> Politics v. Global Warming

PepsiCo on Monday will announce that it will purchase 1 billion kilowatt-hours of renewable energy credits over the next year — equal to all the electricity used by all of PepsiCo’s U.S. facilities. That’s enough electricity to power 90,000 average American homes for one year.

The EPA’s list has become a marketing tool. With global warming a big issue — especially with coveted young consumers — marketers are elbowing each other to stand tall on the environmental soap box.
"Companies are starting to say: ‘I’m greener than you are,’ " says Katharine Paine, an image consultant.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/environment/2007-04-30-greenest-usat_N.htm?csp=34

Not sure if the EPA intended their list to become a marketing tool, but it’s nice to see a global warming fighting strategy that isn’t based on publicity stunts and politicians posing as scientists. The EPA should run with it. :tup:

PepsiCo’s cost: about $2 million. That might not sound like a lot, but in support for renewable energy, it’s huge.

What did they spend in Superbowl commercials? Yeah, Pepsi is leading the charge to save the planet.:cjerk:

It gets them in the news, cheap. If they found out they could sell .0001% more Pepsi by cutting down every tree in the rain forest, they’d be first in line to buy chain saw credits.

Good, creates sustainability in business and environment which makes for a better world for all of us

Meh, who cares why they are doing it. It’s just good they are doing it.

I say :tup:

I am not sure I understand how this makes PepsiCo more green than Whole Foods.
If I am not mistaken Whole foods uses ONLY solar generated electricity.
Just because PepsiCo is using much more energy they can save more energy so that makes them greener?
That is funny.
What am I missing?
What is better than 100% solar energy?

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that Pepsi actually gives a shit.

Pepsi found a way to put their name on the top of a happy list so they did it. The EPA found a way to get Pepsi to spend $2 million bucks on renewable energy, so they did it.

win/win

I realize that any reason they do it, the result is the same. I just have a problem with giving Pepsi a green award and a bunch of free advertising because they spent .00000001% of their budget on green energy.

Sure, it’s mutual exploitation. But bear in mind, 2 wrongs don’t make a right but 3 lefts do.

<-Goes for more coffee. :tup:

Anybody catch NOVA last week (lol… I couldn’t sleep). Germany has a very interesting energy policy. They locked i nthe energy sell back price for the next 20 years to guarantee the profits of both private and corp owners of renewable energy. Basically if they can buy solar panels they will get their investment back plus some profit.

$2 million isn’t shit. One individual pig farmer took out a loan for $5 million to make a profit of …

FUCK TW WHY THE FUCK CAN’T I POST A QUOTE!!!

^ I don’t know why, but that really made me lol. Maybe my hate for TW. :slight_smile:

Anyways here is the transcript:

Keep in mind it isn’t about the individual getting 5 mil or Pepsi putting up 2 mil as it is the governments participation in the programs.

HERMANN SCHEER: With our Renewable Energy Act, we gave each producer of solar power, even a very, very small one, a price guarantee to give his power to the grid. That means to sell it.

NARRATOR:
Anyone who puts up solar panels will get about 50 cents per kilowatt hour for the electricity they send to the grid. But they pay only about 20 cents for the electricity they buy from the grid. So at the end of the month, panel owners almost always make a profit.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:5,topic:28517"”]

If I am not mistaken Whole foods uses ONLY solar generated electricity.

[/quote]

You are mistaken, that was on NOVA as well. The Whole Foods in NJ that they covered only produced 15% of the energy needs.

NARRATOR: Solar panels on this store complement, do not replace energy from the grid.
JIGAR SHAH: The solar power only produces 15 percent of the store’s use all year around. But it produces between 50 and 100 percent of its energy needs during the daytime. And that’s the time when the power from the utility company is the most expensive.