car audio/wiring help asap

ok, so i am trying to put in a new ipodcar adapter. i got everything taken apart. but i need to tap into the 12v power. i can see where to tap into the ground, but i dont know where the +12v is. i have a 2003 monte carlo. where can i tap in near the radio?

think im just gonna splice in near the fuse box and run a wire to the back of the radio. just need to go grab some wire…stupid question. can i use speaker wire? i have a ton of that

use the 12V off the lighter socket. Its already fused for 15AMPs. You can yank that fuse and put in something smaller for the ipod like 5 amp. No need to run anything. Use power wire. Some speaker wire is ok but with some the insulation is too soft.

So you say “tap into the ground”… you realize you don’t need so splice an existing ground wire as a ground. Also I’d use something besides speaker wire even though you’re running such a small amperage just because speaker wire screams hack job to me. Use something with good insulation.

ok…got it hooked up. i found a screw to ground it to, so that was easy. im about ready to lose it with this damn thing. the only wire i could find was a single conductor 18 gauge. i had everything running and all. it recognized the “cd changer” (ipod) and saw that something was there. so i was like sweet it might work. then i went and got my ipod. plugged it in and it did not recognize it. now wtf. i must have blown a fuse somewhere because my 12v dropped out now. anyone know where i can get a diagram of the fuse box? i didnt see any burned out fuses, but i dont want to go pulling out all the fuses…thats probably not a good idea right?

any suggestions?

Flip over the fuse box cover and it will tell you what each fuse is for.

well…im retarted. i was thinking and i was like why the hell isnt this working? then i retraced what i did to tap into the power. i took out some old dash gauges and used that splice for the 12v. guess what needs to happen for the gauges to go on…the freggin lights need to be on. so when i was taking apart my dash, i accidently turned on the lights. so it worked for a minute. when i tried it again the lights were off. mystery solved. too bad i wasted like 3 hours of my weekend for this crap. everything works perfectly now.

does this need to be a switch 12v or constant?

just when the car is on. so i gotta figure it out. the cig lighter is always on so i dont want that to drain my battery. i still have it on the light line now, so that will work i guess. i just have to have my lights on all the time. but i have daytime running lights anyway so. my front cig lighter doesnt work either. and i cant figure out how to get the damn middle console apart.

you have a test light?? just check for switched power at the deck or at the ign harness to the left of the radio once its pulled out. IGN is pink

this the monte carlo? fuse tap the ign switch fuse i would say radio switch. that car is databus2 and does not have a radio acc you can also use a hvac

This seems like it was made a ton more complicated than it should have been.

well, i have it working now. so i dont know if i want to bother redoing everything. i just need to have the lights on…
now i want to make it look pretty so i may end up running some stuff again anyway. would you happen to know what wires i can use for hvac? that would be the easiest if there is a 12v going there.

it works really well too. i would recommend this if anyone wants something like this. they have wiring harnesses for pretty much every car.

you can borrow my test light if you want

pink at the ignition harness. its to your left once you pull out the deck.

that would be pretty easy. maybe ill do that. you sure its the pink one? i can check the voltage and make sure before i hook it up too.

another question: the ipod connecting end actually has a really long cable. i want to run it under the center console and have the cable come out behind the shifter. there is a little removable plastic plate i can drill a hole in. so it would work, i just need some kind of seal so it doesnst look cheesy. anyone know of some kind of cord grip or seal that would give it a factory look. i can take a pic to show you what im talking about too.