(Car Sales Rant) updating as i go so deal with it

So after a brief stint away, i am back in retail and actually pretty happy about it in general. I got together with an old friend and started selling cars last week. I previously sold recreational stuff, motorcycles, quads, sleds, you name it.

Now just selling cars, at a real gm dealer not a crazy off the wall, buy here pay here, used car lot.

And im glad to see that things haven’t changed in this buisness, i dont mind the long hours with redonkulous low pay but i am really sick of being jerked around by people all the time.

People buying cars, or anything for that matter, here are some things to consider in your adventure. I just want to list SOME of the things that i hate on a daily basis.

1. Fucking stereotypes, not every SAlESMAN goes to work with coffee in one hand and lube in the other hoping to rape someone in the ass, im a sales associate not a rapist, get it through your head. Stereotypes are stupid. period.

2. To all customers who come in to the store and im casually flipping through the latest “went out for a bag of milk” or just picked up a new DD thread, and i ask you how you are doing? or how is the weather…please stop replying with “IM JUST LOOKING” seriously you make yourself look stupid as fuck.

3. If you are really just looking at cars, first of all i dont care i still might wanna chat, and as long as your open about it im not gonna care. But if you are out looking and testdriving cars in the freezing cold and a damn blizzard, its hard to believe your not even slightly interested in getting a new car. that or you just have no life, at all.

4. Stop thinking that if i sell you a car that i am gonna be rich, i dont make dick and it insults me that you think you know how much i make. I dont drive an escalade, i can’t buy nice things, i cant even rent an apartment if i wanted, so seriously just stop. I drive a 10 year old truck and a 20 yr old car. Please please please explain to me why this is so hard people!!!

5. Stop pulling the shit where you say you work or worked in some kind of sales job and you know all the secrets that im gonna try and use to trick you and run out of the delership with my huge bag of commission. There are no tricks, the car you want has a price if you dont like/cant afford, or think your getting raped, dont buy it then. I have yet to see a salesman hold a gun to anyones head after 7 years of retail experience. Im so sick of everyone being so defensive and acting like they need to be smarter than me. Ill always let you think it just because it calms you the fuck down.

6. Stop trying to prove you know more than me about the item you are looking at. You are researching 1 car for like your whole life, jerking off about buying it forever. I have to know alot about every damn car on the market. I dont care if you know more than me, enlighten me, i dont care just stop acting like god because you know the rear gear ratio of the damn truck you wanna buy.

7. Stop thinking this is craigslist, or some kind of miracle place where i can make your life significantly better. I cant make the fact that you are 9 grand upside down on a fucking throw away piece of shit car because you got a 84 month term at 12.99 apr. I cant get you into a 4x4 with that much negative equity and still keep you under 200/month. Its rediculous!!!Then after all that you will get all pissed and say something like “if just one salesman would give up their commission id love to buy a car from them, and i would deal today” Listen dude usually i dont make 9 grand in comission, its not my fault. i make maybe 50-100 sometimes a few hundred bucks but damn it if its my fault that you have shit credit or are upsidedown more than a rollercoaster. Heres my reply, if just one customer would not haggle for 50 years and call every dealership from here to california about a damn throwaway piece of shit car, or a work truck, maybe i wouldn’t have to explain to my wife why i really have had a craving for ramen noodles, and we need to stock up.

Think selling cars is bad, try selling RV’s. People are twice as bad.

You mad?

Sounds like you need a different career. Or a lifetime supply of Alprazolam.

I couldn’t sell cars. I sell paint and people are crazy enough about that… I couldn’t imagine car sales.

This is not my CAREER, It’s my job. i have higher aspirations, but right now aspirations are about the only thing i have going for me.

And no im not mad, i really enjoy my job, i just wish it wasnt 40 miles away from home, my weekly pay doesnt even cover my gas, we have no fucking phone lines so im racking up my cell bill, and i have had 2 floor ups since saturday. i have worked open to close mon-thursday which is 830-830 and yet im the one hearing the old, man we are really in the downswing you should really try and make some deals…

Seriously FML

ALSO I AM THE ONLY SALESMAN WORKING THIS WEEK, so why the hell have i only had two fucking ups!!!

Yeah, really sounds like you enjoy your job. There’s gotta be a mcdonalds closer to where you live.

Lol, do you sell subarus? If you, shoot me a PM, we can work out a deal on a $15 car if you want.

If you are truly a good sales person with skills, you need to go sell somebody on why they should hire you and get a different job. This does not sound satisfying to you at all or nor does it sound like you are even making good money to make up for it.

Is this not a tough time of year anyways? I cant imagine car sales booming just after the holidays/dead of winter? Will tax return time help? not too far away…

I am in sales BTW :wink:

dont really know whats gonna help. So far this week i am scheduled for 55 hours and i will bring home less than 300 bucks so we are talking about 5.50/hr. i mean wtf. I guss i just have bad luck or something, i always find the places that are struggling so then i struggle.

I tried working a regular 9-5, and given the schedule was great but i only made 10/hr with no chance of making more or getting a promotion, so i lost interest. Selling cars is like having your own buisness and how much you make should be a reflection of how hard you work. but even a great sales person cant survive when their is no phone service, and only 2 floor ups since like 5 days ago this is just crazy. plus it snows everyday so we have to shuffle all the cars for plowing, this is usually fun but damn im broke and sick i dont feel like screwing off for 3 hours in the snow then sitting at my desk with wet fucking feet till 830

IMO, quit.

It’s obvious that you aren’t happy at the job and cannot afford to drive/work at a place of business that has no business.

What about working for Geico or some place?

Couldn’t you call customers or are you one of the guys who just wants to wait for the customer to walk in with his hand on his credit card and knows exactly what he wants?

Come on man, I have sold $100k motorhomes when there is a weather warning in Buffalo. How hard can it be to sell a few cars?

BTW- what dealership do you work at?

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

None of that matters. Isn’t this the time of season that ppl will save money if its slow? If someone wants something bad enough, they will find the money. Unless they have no money and you should probably find a new customer.

It’s amazing how much your attitude has on your performance.

x2 If you have a shit job, and make shit money…you can’t complain, you put yourself there. We all deal with fggt asshole dickhead motherfuckers, shit happens.

this is sooo true

im in auto sales and sure its slow, but during that slow time you have to work the ups that you’ve had and find ways to get yourself out there, social media is a killer way to get in some fresh faces :slight_smile:

its been slow but you have to make sure that every customer counts, chances are no one is going out in this shitty weather to kick some tires :slight_smile:

When I worked as a lot guy at a large dealer, I noticed there were pretty much 3 types of salespeople. The person who sells a ton of cars, makes a killing, has repeat customers streaming in, and drives a brand new luxury car. Then there’s the people who have been doing it a while, sell a decent amount of cars, and are happy where they are. And then there’s the people who don’t make dick, complain all day, hang around outside chain smoking, and generally need to find a new career. A good amount of them seemed stressed and/or miserable at least part of the time. It was a great place to work and I’d be welcome back, but I peaced out after a year because we’d get all that stress and anger kicked down to us. I worked there to see if car sales would be for me. It wasn’t.

i’ve thought about getting into car sales several times. Just not sure I want to make a move from where I am at.

That alone wouldn’t make it worth it…
You need to find a job closer with similar pay…

OP can go fuck himself. If you have a job you don’t like, either quit or deal with it. I have zero tolerance for people bitching that they make $5 an hour bla bla bla. Bullshit jobs like that don’t choose you, you choose them.

Now, from a customer standpoint, the vast majority of car salesmen are fucking scum. I could write a book about the stupid shit Ive heard them say. So when I go into a dealership, I assume the salesperson is a retard.

Incoming Car Salesman Rant:

You know what annoys the shit outta me? When salesmen don’t have the knowledge of any car they are selling. When I was looking to buy my mustang, I researched the crap outta the car before I stepped foot into the dealership. I did the interactive shit on the ford website…etc. When I actually did go to the dealer, told them what I want etc, ALL of my questions were unanswered. The guy literally told me he had no clue what kind of car I was talking about, what options it had, which engine the 2011 GT had…this went on for the entire experience. Every question I had was followed up by “I don’t know, I’ll have to look into it”. Even when this guy asked the salesman next to his, the answered was still “I don’t know”.

It baffled me what little knowledge you need to sell cars. Even the MANAGERS had no clue what options these cars came with. None of the dealerships seem to have a brochure for the car either which pissed me off as I wanted to take a look at the options as I with the salesman. I basically went in, explain what I wanted, the guy wrote it down on a post it note and told me he would contact me in a couple days to see if they had could find the car from another dealer or if it had to be ordered. If I had done the opposite and just went to the dealer without knowledge what I wanted, I would have been standing there with my thumb up my ass.

In my opinion, if you want to sell cars and be good at it, have some fucking knowledge about the entire lot the dealership sells. If that information is to much for you to remember than you are an idiot. I do not feel bad for you. This goes for all dealerships not just the Ford dealer I went to.

Ok /end rant