Carburated Deisel?

I was thinking about this the other day… Is it possible to have a non EFI diesel vehicle? Based on my limited knowledge of diesel a carbureted diesel is not possible… is it? Explain.

no

the timing of the fuel injection is very important, dumping it in without the timing would not work

ok… that’s what I thought… but I never had a positive no answer before.

well it can be mechanical, its called and injection pump. But I don’t think there would be any possible way to have a carbed deisel.

adam, wern’t we dicussing this at work one night? lol. :tup: for the Ghia Diesel idea though

Ok, diesels have been around for a lot longer than EFI systems. At one point and time , they were carbed

The idea of fuel injection has been around way longer than you think. It doesn’t require electronic controls.

Scroll down a bit to Fuel Injection in diesel engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

I’m curious to see some of these carbed diesels.
Mercedes was one of the first, if not the first car company to have diesel cars. Mechanical fuel injection. Like it’s been said timed with the engine. Diesel is a lot heavier than gasoline, I don’t think it would atomize like gas.

no they werent. diesels have never and cannot use carbs. they are all fuel injected. also not until very recently have then actually been “electronic” fuel injected. they have mechanical fuel injection. the diesel cycle works quite differently from the standard otto cycle (the principal gasoline engines work on).

I must have read some bad information…my bad

contrary to popular belief… Fuel Injection (Not Electronic Fuel Injection) has been around a LONG time… Unfortunatly I dont have a picture I thought I did… There is a car in the Cleveland Auto museum from the early 1900’s that has fuel injection… It’s primitive… but it has it.

edit:
Oh and mike I was joking abotu making my Ghia Diesel that would take so much money and time it’d be redik… I"d just rather get a flat four out of a diesel westy or something and put it in… The head work, and Cyl Work would be $$$$ and Time. Not to mention how to set up either a mechanical injection or EFI for it.

^^yeah i kinda thoight u were…i jumed in the conversation in its later stages and didnt quite get the whole thing