Career/ Life change rolling around my head.....

So, as some of you know I own a small fab/welding company…mostly performance based…lowlyoilburner and I used to work at the same place…we both hated it…we quit…I started doing what he used to…that’s my story.

So about a month ago I really started to slow down with work that needs to be done. I’m thinking about doing something crazy and full blown perusing training as a helicopter pilot. Not military, not heli-logging, not EMS. Mostly charter contract type work for oil rigs, power line companies, photos, tours, etc.

Does anyone on her have a license? How long did it take you to get a private license? From what I see everyone is different…

Its just a crazy thought…for now…

For a commercial license it costs $30k+ but I’m not sure how long it takes.

If I were you, I would take a look at the job market and get a feel for where you would likely have to re-locate to in order to maintain a career. Hawaii wouldn’t be a bad choice for heli-tours. :tup: Plenty of companies out there.

But also consider whether or not you would enjoy that more than anything else. Sure it sounds fun at first, but eventually you may just feel like a glorified taxi-cab with a shitload more liability.

I prob should have mentioned that I fully understand the process…including time, cost, locations of training facilities, types of aircraft I would be using. I am not opposed to moving, not one bit, actually looking forward to it. I have looked into every aspect of this. I do not make decisions like this without being fully aware of the chances and benefits.

Hawaii sounds like it would be fun, but the ability to make decent money just running tours for the rest of my life isn’t really an option in my head. The main reason for people to work as tour pilots is to build time and get paid for it, rather than paying for a machine themselves. Once time reaches around 1000 hours they can be considered for a higher paying more demanding position.

As far as 30g’s…in the grand picture of education is nothing compared to degrees in a field of comparable pay.

Well then if it’s something you really want to do, assess the availability of jobs and gopher it.

Then take me for a ride in a helicopter!

We can split the costs of flight with a private license…I just can’t be “paid” for it without going commercial

I’ve actually considered getting my private license as well. It’s around $12k IIRC. What kind of rules are there about where you can land? For example, I have a license, and my own helicopter. Can I land on my yard?

The only thing I have hurd of is basically like a code of conduct I guess you could call it. Basically fly high, get up there quick, avoid flying low over populated areas…I would also think if there was a mechanical failure this would allow enough altitude in order to complete a successful autorotation. Obviously don’t fly over a damn airport within the traffic pattern.

Helicopters are pretty unrestricted, I don’t think there would be an issue with you back yard’ing one…as long as your neighbors didn’t care much about noise…

The reason I ask is because you can find helicopters for under 50k. Sure that’s more expensive than most small planes, but for the long term you won’t be paying for a hanger and you can land that thing where ever the fuck you want within reason. I wonder if I can get both licenses in one shot.

I am an army helicopter guy, that also flies corporate.

Te total career path will cost you 120k before you land a real job, and it will pay crappy. Thousands of military aviators are getting out due to deployments, and flooded the marked with very high time experienced helicopter pilots.

I have 2,600 rotor wing hours, and i am flying fixed wing, if there was money to be made with good quality of life i would be there.

Also as a mechanic with rotor wing experience, i can tell you flat out, you can’t afford a helicopter. If it’s under 100k there are time life mandatory replacement parts coming due, and unless you can turn wrenches (as in FAA A&P license) the annual alone will cost 10-30k a year.

](*,) man…thats a bummer

I have a friend down here that flies privately… he loves it…

my boss landed his helicopter in front of the shop last week, so I hope you cn land where you want…

if you’re lookin for a career change i can put in a word for you at valvoline LOL if by career change you mean putting a flame thrower in your mouth

The thought of working for someone and making them a ton of money on my ideas drives me nuts…so who knows…I might start a Florida keys air tour company or something…Just have to find a starting point

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Do you know what he has?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Vero Beach? By flies privately do you mean like charter? or has a private license?

He’s in west palm, and he flies privately…

he basically pics up privately owned helicopters and flies them from the west coast to south america and to east coast.

I can find more info out if you’d like…
he really enjoys it

There’s a joke in aviation, and it hol so true…

“wana know how to make a small fortune? Start with a big fortune and open an aviation based company!”

There are probably hundreds of long standing air tour companies in FLA. To jump in and think you can compete is a long shot to say the least. Plus the range of a helicopter you or 20 of your richest friends all pooled together to afford still won’t go very far on a tank, and the maintenance and fuel will tank any profits.

Aviation is a business held up by dreams of many, and the path to success is littered with the lives of those destroyed by thousands that didn’t make it.

Do some goggling, it won’t take long to see how tough it is.