My Newest Hobby (R/C Heli)

Haha, I didn’t want to post this, but after some peer pressure I gave in. I also wasn’t sure where to throw this post OT or Huge Nerds, but if this thread seems to bore you…at least click the second vid and watch 1 minute of it.

But anyway, here is the new hobby. RC Helis are freakin awesome. I attached a few pics and some videos. The first vid may be boring, but it is me flying and attempting my first 3d roll moves. Not pretty but it gives a small idea of how hard theese things are to fly. Imagine balancing a marble on the back of a spoon…kinda like that.

Well that is a sloppy n00b trying something for the first time. Here is what I want to do someday…

Thought some of you physics guys might like the second vid. Tariq Is pretty much one of the best, but there are thousands like him on youtube.

Here is my flagship…

Eflite blade 400. Highly Modified with HM65MG cyclic servos, Futaba GY401 Heading lock gyro, Futaba s9251 tail servo and turnigy 2200mah 20c batteries. Still a very entry level heli polished up quite a bit, but good enough for practice and cheap to fix when I crash.

I was getting pretty good with my e-sky honeybee CP2 but got tired of how easily it broke with even a light crash. It’s a ton of fun but dropping $30 in parts every other time I took it out got old quick.

My biggest problem was I would never be happy just flying around the yard slow. I’d always start pushing it and before you knew it, SMACK, broken heli. :slight_smile:

That guy flying the choppers is nuts. It looked like it was on a string.

I’ve been playing with some of this stuff as well lately. We’re looking at maybe spending some coin on a cheaper oktocopter with GPS to do some aerial filming/photography with :slight_smile:

Yeah crashing sucks. Best bet is don’t do it haha.

Mike check this out here

http://helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Some vids like this

are just a small portion of the spectrum on aerial video and photography.

Here is a usb cam on one of my smaller helis too

The turbine jet engine ones are stupid amazing. Hard to find quality videos of them flying around however.

If they were only cheaper…

Cool stuff!

This needs to happen :tup: :tup:

used to have a few guys fly some big planes, and trick heli’s around the school when i was in houston… huge R/C crowd down there.

Awesome hobby!! But a little expencive. My brother in law has a few smaller RC hellis that he flies around the house. Been thinking about this hobby myself for some time. As for the second vid I lost track how many times the guy fliped the cyclic pitch on that rig and not to mention all the control inversions he went through. I would have lost track of all that shit like 10 secconds in. Awesome flying though.

I have a Venom NR3D. Its fun to hover, but I don’t have near the ability to do anything 3D. I just don’t have the skills.

You do have some skills for a newb, you were able to control it when it didn’t do what you wanted, I’m very impressed.

Is that Lincoln park?
I used to be into R/C cars, but then I had kids.
Now there is not enough time in a day or money in the bank.

The venom is a great heli just like jays Honeybee cp2.

I went with the E-flite because all of the local hobby stores carry them and the parts.

If any one wants to come fly and get/give some good input, I use the napa garage when its windy/snowy or raining for practicing, parking lot for setup, and the park for flight.

Thanks onyx for the embed…I tried that first but failed miserably.

Yes drvnkd. lincoln park for sure. Probably not appreciated to fly there but no one was anywhere around.

As for the kids thing…that is why I put the highchair in the back of the first pic. That was 100% deliberate, except I couldn’t figure out how to make that appear to come first, because she comes first, then helis…then maybe wife. My saving grace is my little one loves the helis. Especially the small indoor ones. She calls them gakus and always says dadda gaku! dadda gaku!

heh.
You were standing at the end of my street then…

Sure the kids love them, but I am not good at NOT letting them play with them :smiley:

How is the fly time on the bigger RC electric ones? I hated dealing with the gas for my old RC one in high school so I gave i t up. I liked flying for an hour tho and not only 10 min spans.

I never heard of a gasser or nitro that could fly for more than 10 mins on a tank. Or do you mean just refill and fly?

I have 10 batteries in cycle at 12.99 a peice, and about 5-10 mins of flight depending if I run 2200RM or 1800RPM so its a no brainer. fly, cooldown, check up, in the air again in 5 mins. No messy gas, just a lot of batteries. Most cragers have a feild charge capability also and with newer 5c charge rates, a battery can be fully charged in 30 mins. Lipo tech is moving ahead very fast and will soon destroy gassers.

Basically nitro is also sweet for certain reasons, but electric is great for beginners and pros alike. Oh and nitro crashes can cost 100-200 bucks if the engine doesn’t break. Lipo crashes rarley to $50 even with destroyed servos.

I’ve got a gas airplane that I’ve flown like 3 times, it’s so big of a pain to go somewhere to fly and the place that’s maintained by the local R/C club requires you to be a member of the AMA(or something similar).

There’s probably enough space around my house to fly a much smaller plane, or a heli. My cousin was given a heli and he’s never flown it because the controller won’t charge, he’d probably give it to me. It was in pretty good shape last I saw too. hmmmm

Ya i would always bring fuel and refill it. Was a little better since you just dump it in and go. I guess its good the batteries are cheaper and don’t need to haul the gas.

May need to look into this or the R/C Airplanes again.

Haha nice Skrappa. Looks like fun.

i flew RC planes for 10 years as a kid. I have seen the local fields get more restricted and then closed, one by one. Soccer moms win out every time and most towns rather put up 2 more soccer fields, than keep an RC field. As if that wasn’t enough, you have the old guys that are in every club that think they are real pilots, and that they are the FAA and that you have to abide by 50 rules just to get your plane started, and believe you me, they are watching every thing you do.

I just rather fly in my backyard, I hope some day to get into forward flight so I can get my fix for airplane flying. But being a helicopter guy in the service, vertical lift is where its at.

I had a smaller airplane(24-30"ish wingspan, it was a cheapo one that you threw to take off and only had a V shaped tail for steering or elevation) that I used to fly in my high school’s sports fields, they were all next to each other with no fences so it was perfect. The plane I have now is much bigger(like 4’ wingspan), and I’m not confident enough in my flying to just go find a field and have at it. If I get the heli from my cousin, I’d probably sell the plane to pay for the stuff I’ll break learning to fly it myself. It’s a hobbico superstar in just about brand new shape.
http://pics.towerhobbies.com/image/h/hcaa2020.jpg