Carfax Class Action Lawsuit

For anyone who feels they were screwed by Carfax recently:

If you purchased a Carfax Vehicle History Report directly from Carfax at any time before October 27, 2006, you’re a Class Member for purposes of this settlement.

Click HERE to read about allegations

Click HERE for West v. Carfax, Inc. settlement website

Class Members who remain in the settlement can claim a Voucher good for $20.00 off a vehicle
inspection by a designated third party within six months of final approval of the settlement, a
Voucher good for two free Carfax Vehicle History Reports from Carfax within one year of final
approval of the settlement, a Voucher for one free Carfax Vehicle History Report from Carfax
within two years of final approval of the settlement, or a Voucher for 50% off an unlimited
number of Carfax Vehicle History Reports (for personal, not commercial use) over 30
consecutive days within three years of final approval of the settlement. The Court will also order
Carfax to make certain changes in its disclosures and contracting process with customers.

so are you automaticly signed up for this, or do you need to add your name somewhere?

cliffs for lazy fucks like myself:

Tennessee Attorney David A. McLaughlin filed a class action lawsuit against CARFAX, Inc. in 2003, alleging the company failed to disclose that it does not access records from more than 20 states, and the information consumers buy is often “incomplete, inaccurate and unreliable.”

McLaughlin’s 2003 suit charged that auto dealer Mid-South Motors purchased a 1995 BMW 525i from another wholesaler in 2002 after buying a CARFAX report that showed no “salvage” brands and no police accident or damage disclosure records.

A subsequent check of a database maintained by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) revealed that the BMW had been declared a “total loss” three separate times after accidents in New York, Florida and Georgia that were reflected in police accident records, according to court documents.

However, a teenager from a New-York based online automotive forum offered to shoot various ‘varmints’ in the McLaughlin’s yard on behalf of Carfax to atone for the recently discovered unsavory history of the BMW. ‘Let me go get the .308 and my entire Disturbed library, Broseph!’ was the response of a pleased McLaughlin who subsequently dropped the case.

i check the slaab on carfax, and it showed nothing; however, the hood has been sprayed, and i had to connect a few things left unhooked by the shop that worked on it.
carfax = poop

Yeah same here, it appears most of my car was resprayed and it took a hit from the rear. But it drives good so doesn’t bother me.

But still a carfax doesn’t tell part or any of the story really.

Same here except with the audi. Showed nothing yet the entire front had been resprayed (and crappy on the hood too, has a spot of orange peel now)