Carpet Painting DIY 56K Go bake muffins!

While my car’s rust was being taken care of by Draggone, I said why not pull out the carpet and give it some refreshing.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/AhmadG/Nissan%20240SX%20Rust/th_DSC05187.jpg

After I pulled out the carpet, I thoroughly washed it with some carpet cleaner, the oxygen activated shit. (Think OXICLEAN commercials with that overenergetic bearded dude). Hosed it off with hot water, used a hard bristle brush to get the stains out as much as I could, and to help the paint stick to a cleaner surface.

Initially I bought 2 cans of this flat black spray paint from Walmart, $1.97 a can. I ended up using about 4.

As it says on the can, you shake it vigorously for a good 30 seconds, and then hold the spray nozzle firmly making sure its pointed AWAY from you. You spray in consistent swaying motions at a distance of about 12-16". After letting it dry you fill in the spots that weren’t as dark, and you repeat the process as many times as you have patience for. 2 coats did a perfect job for my needs.

I sprayed half the carpet to give you guys a good idea of the before and after without any other variables introduced. It looks so awesome in person, the flash makes the grey show up, but when its off, it looks nice and dark, just like it would in your car. The first image is with flash, the second without.

I made the stupid mistake of attempting this indoors, inside the kitchen. The fumes were horrible, even with windows & doors open, and the exhaust fans on. DO NOT do this indoors, I learned the hard way. After I was done spraying, I blew my nose, and the tissue turned black…imagine what went in my lungs. Seriously guys, don’t be as stupid as I was today. The fumes will make you dizzy and feel like throwing up later on in the day. This picture shows some of the fumes in the air. lol

Here is the finished product, its gonna look wicked once I get my car back.

Anyways, I hope I made a contributing post to SON rather than asking questions all the time. This is to show how much better a stock carpet can be made to look after over a decade and a half of staining and dirt.

Good luck with your ghetto, yet effective S13 and S14 restorations. :stuck_out_tongue:

o man kitchen bud?
well, if you got any bug problems in the kitchen im sure you got rid of em :stuck_out_tongue:
anywho, how does the carpet feel? any rub off?
great update btw (Y)

ive pondered doing this to my carpet but im worried about it rubbing off if it gets wet or desolving in really hot weather making the car reak of paint fumes.

Did your parents kill you for spraying the carpet in the kitchen? lol

Anyways, looks good. Hopefully it lasts.

They make a spray paint made specifically for painting carpet. I imagine they did that because normal spray paint isn’t designed for carpet? I dunno. I’m just saying…

or spend $10 and get the dye designed for fabric
http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showpost.php?p=298371&postcount=9

u can paint ur whole car with 4 cans of paint …

think that stuff would work on the headliner too? just mask and spray? lol, cuz that would be awesome. i really hate my dingy old grey headliner

I painted my carpet black with black krylon and just vaccumed it first and it worked great. It lasted for 6 months with out showing any signs of wear.