cavalier problem

i have 99 cavalier 2.2 it started to over heat the other day i noticed the fan wasnt coming on so i replaced the fan motor and the t stat. it seemed to be fine until sat when it wouldnt start i got it running started to drive and it started to over heat according to the gauge it went into the red dropped to 0 and spiked andthen stalled had it towed to my house it is getting fuel and spark i filled it up with anti freeze and noticed the anti freeze smells like gas. what would cause it not to start and the gas smell in the ani freeze?

headgasket?

x2, especially if you have over 100k on the engine. Any coolant in the oil?

yeah im going with head gasket also
the main cause was dexcool, most people wouldn’t change it and then it just eats away at everything

google search dexcool you will find out how good it is lol

oil is fine no water in it i never seen a head gasket cause a car not to start

I don’t know if it will help, but the later J-bodies had some significant wiring problems. Especially around the battery and the wires get corroded due to the battery leaking. Like I said I don’t know if it helps, but maybe a ground broke there. They do have bad headgasket problems too though.

headgasket is leaking into the cyclinders thats the starting issue and over heating issue as well any one interested in a car to fix up pm me its for sale

bummer sorry to hear.