Cavalier

thank you, at least someone here is open minded. I’m not sure if the guy I wrote about (Ryne Hoover), still has a stock fuel pump or not, but the big deal with him running 12s is that:

1. It’s a Cavalier
  2. It has a stock engine other than the turbo kit
  3. It has stock clutch, axles, tranny, etc…
  4. It was on street legal tires (drag radials, but street legal)

They estimate that he is pushing 300 whp (he has yet to get it dynoed). People often fail to realize that the engine that was used in the Cavalier for its final 4 years of production, is the same highly publicized ECOTEC that is being used in the Cobalt and Ion. The supercharged 2.0 in the SS and Redline, is very similar to the 2.2 in the base model Cavalier. The fact that “it’s a Cavalier” tends to overshadow the fact that the ECOTEC is, while still up-and-coming, a very versatile and competitive engine capable of more that it is given credit for.

I’m sure this post will get flamed all to hell, but that is my $.02.
:jerkit:

1. Who cares what it is…I know I wouldnt want to F with it on the track
  2. That’s pretty impressive for the stock ECOTEC engine
  3. He should def upgrade his drivetrain, esp. the clutch…
  4. So basically tires that sneak under the radar of the D.O.T :slight_smile: :cool:

Does this owner of this car have a website, or something? I would like to read more info about this guy, he’s def tearing it up! I always knew the ECOTEC engine had potential, but damn…12’s…I figured 13’s at most, proved me wrong :doh:

I’m sure it will get flamed, but who cares? Everything on here gets flamed once and a while, you just gotta grow some skin, and roll with it!

The ecotec is nothing new. GM built a bad ass engine (quad 4) 10+ years before they started using the ecotecs. I dont understand what all the hype is with these motors, other then 4 cylinders are cool now. But back when the quad 4 was built that had 150hp-180hp-190hp versions all were N/A. Research the old AeroTech land speed car (made well over 700hp) Some of the Jim Fueiler built quad 4s in the 1000+ range.

Also the LSJ and L61 are TOTALY different motors. The bore, stroke, pistons, rods, head, on and on and on… are all different. I love how everyone says just b/c GM can make X amount of power, then anyone can. Well ive been in the GM FWD community for years now and dont know of anyone other then GM who has made over 1000hp with an ecotec. I do know of some others that have run verious times with different setups (ex RWD turboed cavi in AZ that runs 9s) But to end my rant, the ecotec isnt the end all be all for GM 4 cylinders, remember the quad 4 did it first, and this video shows, it still is.

Source?? I live out here in AZ…through the grapevine i only hear about Ryan Woon and his supra that currently holds the record for the fastest 6spd Supra *

:zzz:

Ryan Woon just ran a 8.62

ppl say its just a cavi but what about it being just a civic. they are basically in the same market. both are disposal ecobox cars. so why cant teh domestic version be quick like the jap ones? it can and should get as much respect as a jap one

this argument is dumb.

I know he did, I’ve personally met him this morning down at his shop in Tucson :slight_smile: his Supra is just ILL :eek4dance

(reason for meeting) my friend i go to school with at UTI owns a 94 Supra and he got it tuned this morning by him

neat

Its a full on drag car thought. http://www.azjbo.org/forum/garage.php?mode=viewgarage&u=69 runs 8’s not 9’s like i said.

Oh i didnt doubt you, i’ve only known about Ryan Woon, BUT DAAAAAAAAAAMN! that cavy is pretty flippin sweet!

The guy I talked about does have a website. It’s not a real good site–doesn’t give a lot of info about the car, but here it is:
http://www.ryne.com/