Cell phone savvy people, help?

So I was bored at work and decided to check my cell phone bill. I have a BlackBerry through work now and haven’t touched my old cell phone for a few months now. I was just waiting for the contract to expire, because it would’ve cost me more to cancel it early, than to pay my cheap phone bill til January.

Well, I was looking at the usage on the phone and noticed that I somehow magically used 424 minutes so far this billing cycle. Calls were made to NYC, San Domingo, San Juan, and a number in Rochester most frequently. I called AT&T and they have disabled outgoing calls from that number so those should stop immediately. Out of curiosity, I called my old number from my desk phone, blocking the caller ID. Some guy answered and I hung up.

Phone people, is there anything else I should do? Do you think I should file a police report or anything like that? I’m a little…ok a LOT freaked out by this, because to my knowledge I didn’t lose my phone, and it should be somewhere at home. There is a chance that it could have been stolen when I last went on a business trip but I swear I saw it last week when I was cleaning. Could they just have cloned my SIM card or something like that? WTF?

why dont you just go see if its at home?

n i n j a s

Because I’m at work right now and figured it was worth asking before I get home at 10pm?

he’s in your house right now.

My cat would’ve attacked him by now.

Anyway, it looks like the phone was stolen out of my luggage, most likely on my last trip, which is the first time I’ve ever checked my bag. And probably when it was at the Rochester airport, because there are so many calls to 585 numbers. The battery in the phone was dead, but the charger was in another area of my suitcase. Since the phone was dead, they took the SIM card out of it and put it in a pay as you go phone, and racked up $308.98 in International calls.

A police report has been filed, AT&T suspended the account and is investigating the calls, and I will most likely not be held responsible for the charges, since the last time I used the phone was to check my voicemail on 10/1/08.

Fuckers.:banghead:

At least ATT was cool about it. Verizon would have you responsible for the charges up until the date you filed a police report.

fail bait