paging NYSPEED Private Eyes. Help wanted

i could use a little help with a lost cell phone issue.

About a month ago on a saturday snowmobile excursion my cell phone fell out of my pocket down at sprague brook park.

I didnt realize it till that night and went looking for it sunday morning. and covered all the stops.

Not thinking anyone had found it and it being my only phone. I called monday morning at work to report it lost/stolen. and figured it was a 100 dollar phone loss.

When i activated one of my old phones for the time being i checked my voice mails. and ironically there was an interesting one on there.

It seems that some kid found my phone. and mistakenly left me a long voicemail talking to his dad about returning the phone… and going to wendys for dinner. so i figured someone whould call someone on my contacts list and try to return it.

This was a month ago.

on the 16th i got my bill. and with the wonders of modern technology i looked up what was done with my phone. whoever found it. made 4 calls. not to anyone on my contact list.

but the kicker is the little bastard downloaded Ringtones, Mobile IM, and some rap song to my phone. adding 12 bux to my bill.

i know its small potatoes… price i should pay for losing my phone.

but since its a little kid who found it. and clearly from the voice mail it was known to the parents. I think the wrong parental lesson was shown.

if i would have gotten a call. i would have gladly payed a reward to get my phone back. I have insurance it was going to cost me $50 to get it back anyway. but the download charges pissed me off a bit.

it could be a lot worse. but i was wondering if anyone here could reverse lookup the verizon phone numbers i have.

SHoot me a PM if you can help. ill shoot you the numbers.

thanks.

Why not just call the numbers and ask them…

especailly since one of the numbers would belong to the kids parents

X2 ^

Could have been worse if it was a SIM card phone. they could have downloaded all the shit they wanted on your account til you deactivated the sim, then swapped in theirs and used it. I know a guy who found a razr and decked it out with every game and ringtone he could possibly want, then just threw away the sim that came in it.

You try reverse lookup on the numbers?

http://www.anywho.com/rl.html

Why didn’t you have the phone deactivated? Lesson learned.

PM the numbers.

Wouldn’t you have had the service cancelled once you activated the backup phone?

because its more fun to show up at the address with a sherriff’s car.

you really think its come to that, and the sheiff will do anything? why not call and see if they will do the right thing, if not… let it go…

i found a phone once, and i had EVERY intention of calling hte numbers in the contacts to give it back… but the battery died within 30 minutes of me finding it… and i didnt want to buy a charger for the thing ( it had been run over by a car and was pretty beat up)

so i just cracked the sucker in half so nobody else could use it and tossed it

did that there all verizon cell numbers.

the stupid thing i did. was not to call verizon and activate the shaparone feature on the phone. and go to the house that day. but i was snowmobiling and didnt realize the phone was lost till sunday morning.

finders keepers is one thing. but charging features to someone’s bill is the criminal part.

its no different than finding a credit card stuck in a gas pump. its fine to keep the card. but once you swipe it to fill up. it is stealing.

what was the kids name? on the voicemail…?

sidenote on that: if you take it to a carrier store, they can more than likely figure out who owned it, even if they cant get it to work. at least for CDMA phones.

but then again, it depends on the rep and how hard they want to work.

it wasnt mentioned.

Under NYS law,finding something and not returning it is the same thing as stealing it in the first place.

exactly. if i found a phone. i would try to return it. or bring it to the carriers store.

but im sure the rep would just toss it. if it was crap.

I’d personally hunt him down…leave the police out of it, get my phone and either scare the shit out of the kid ooor give him a beating. Size/age pending…lol

for 15 bucks?

not too sure the cops will jump right on that.

like stated call the fucking punk.

Small but a lesson should be learned.

i plan on calling them. but looking for an address if they give me shit.

and it helps to be drinking buddies with a few police officers.