Charger SRT-8 way out classed, or NOT?

Last month’s Car and Driver had a shootout between the BMW M5, Caddy STS-V and MB CLS55 AMG. An amusing offshoot of the comparo was when they threw in the Charger SRT-8, costing about $40,000 LESS because it happened to be sitting around their office and had the stats to be invited.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=10433&page_number=2

The result? Here’s a preview…

The basic test numbers were impressive, but the Charger’s agility on the Grattan road circuit was truly revelatory. Even though we experienced brake-fade problems during the full-tilt process, we were able to herd the bad-boy Dodge around the track in 1:32.65, just 0.1 second behind the CLS55 Benz and almost a full second quicker than the Cadillac STS-V.

Looks like a real bargain there. Throw on some better pads and vented rotors and you have a poor mans super sports sedan.

Hell yeah.

i would rather have the MB

Id rather have the SRT and $40k to spend on PCP

or cinnabons

i can only eat 1/2 a cinnabon before i vomit :frowning:

Paying a little more for a snooty german name on your car is one thing. But $40k buys a whole lot. I mean, you could go buy enough Kia’s to play car soccer with a bunch of your friends.

its not a name, its quality and reliabilty

I would much rather have one car for $40k car than a fleet of kias…
unless the soccer moms were included…

And you think MB has reliability?

lol

yea but there is always the argument that u could build a car yourself for Half the price of the charger and it would perform just as well if not better than most of those

but it wouldnt haev leather 9 way adjustable seats GPS etc… thats what ur paying for witha benz or m5… ur paying for performance AND extreme luxury… the charger is just performance…

they used to, until they hooked up with DC

i hate when i agree with you. its way more fun to argue with you.

The STS-V is very soft. I would not be surprised if they made it a bit stiffer in the next few years. I think it is a bit classier car than the SRT-8. The interior looks great compared to the regular STS (which is designed well, but the materials are not very impressive). Leather covered dash and such. The SRT-8 has a nearly identical interior to the 300C. It is designed perfectly for ergonomics (I can always find/use the controls in a Chrysler product with fidangling around), but again the materials do not feel like recent Mercedes or BMW (that late 90s MB crap was crap, ugh). They feel as though they asked Fisher Price to mold their plastics. I am sure it has more to do with how they are designed and not how much they cost. Aside from some loose parts in the two new STS’s (and an SRX, and a CTS…), they are put together just as well as any Toyota or Honda. Maybe I am just used to those materials and presume they are quality?

Anyway, big tangent. When I see a 300C I think, "Nice car, if you need space for dead bodies.” When I see an STS (especially in black), I get giddy. It is proportioned perfectly. It has fluidity. The front looks like it should be there. The back is somewhat weird (I hate those taillights). It works. It is very classy in black. There are parts to the 300C that I think look very tacked on (the front end–is that ever ugly?). Also, the hemi is wonderful for a bargain basement luxury car, but you win the real buyers by having an engine that does not clatter when cold. I wouldn’t shell out $40,000 for a vehicle that has a pushrod engine. Sorry. Give me the Northstar, the 6 in the BMW or the RL, the AJ 4.2 in the Jag, or the 4.3 in the Lexus (oh goodness is that a great engine Lexus has…mmm, so smooth).

And on that note, there is a reason Lexus has had the success it has had in the United States. They aren’t faster (usually), they are slower around a track and they don’t look better. Hm. Customer satisfaction? Value? I’d buy an STS-V over the STS for the interior improvements alone. With my monopoly money.

If Cadillac (and Chrysler has an even tougher time) wants to really gain some respect, they need to forget about performance lineups and spread the performance across their line. Selling an SRT-8 next to a Neon is fine if you want to treat the Neon owner as if they’re also the only customer you have. I go to a Cadillac dealer and I feel like I might as well be looking at Pontiacs.

Is it outclassed? Yes. MB is making some strides. The Cadillac isn’t outclassed because, uhm, it’s damn good and $12,000 cheaper? It’s cheap! Right. And the CTS isn’t a Dodge Stratus? Come on Chrysler. The only cars worth buying are the 300C and the Pacifica, and the Pacifica was overpriced until they gave it that horrid 3.8 push rod…lumpy thing…ugh…dumbasses…ugh… …Scrap anything under 25k, leave those cars to Dodge, put Jeep and Chrysler in the same dealerships and give the buyers some good customer service.

I don’t expect anybody here to agree with me. Hell, this is a car board and performance is at the top of the list for most people here. However, BMW and MB didn’t get the presence they have now with their performance lines. Lexus has toyed around with the idea. Acura…performance…bha!! Aside from the NSX or the Type R, no. And I don’t think their current success hinges on having nor had those two cars in their lineup.

Bottom line: the money is best spent elsewhere.

edit: to make it easier to read.

I figure this would stir up some interesting opinions, which was why I posted it. I agree, the guy looking at the 3 main cars in the comparo is not going to be cross shopping the SRT-8. He wants speed, luxury, and most importantly… IMAGE. No matter how much quicker the SRT-8 can get around Grattan it doesn’t matter because in the executive lot you don’t find many Dodges.

But for the guy who is dreaming of that level of performance who’s budget just is not going to cover an 80+k sedan, it’s a pretty good alternative. Looking at the daily drivers of most of the people on this board I don’t think many of us fall into the 80k daily driver salary range.

oh as for quality, and quaity control
http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_Recalls/DODGE_Recalls.asp
653 DODGE Recalls
337 CHRYSLER Recalls (added together thats a big number)
vs
80 MERCEDES-BENZ Recalls

saftey, and reliabilty along with creature confort for the win

that guy should buy an STI or an EVO :wink:

I’d take the M5…not a fan of Dodge

dont quote me, but I’m pretty sure the charger comes with those options. I know the magnum does atleast (so I figure the charger would)

and I have to agree with howie… MB’s arent very reliable (atleast in my/my friends experiances with them).

I’d take the mopar or caddy :tup:

I can’t believe I didn’t somehow include how ugly the front of the M5 is. They took an ugly front end and made it uglier. Look at those fin-like things.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/bmwm505_02_1024.jpg

RUCKY it needs some serious styling-Feng Shui. But alas, people buy it because 1) it’s a BMW and 2) I bet it’s interesting to drive with all the electronic nannies. Even Estelle Getty could drive one quickly.

you know their reliability issues started when they hooked up with mopar right?

my old mans 82 turbo diesel ran for over 300k before some asshat ran into him. it think it still ran strong, just didnt drive after that :slight_smile:

No, it was before they bought Chrysler. In the early 90s Mercedes decided they were going to build cars on a budget.