Chevy CEL question

So my brothers pile’ o’ crap (97 chevy lumina) gets a CEL that comes and goes. my dad had it read and its a TPS CEL for a high idle. He needs to get it inspected really soon, i think by the end of the month.
So will he be able to pass inspection with this CEL? What is a fix for this? Replace the TPS?
It gets really shitty gas mileage. I think he said about 18 mpg.
It also has a shitty PCV valve hose connector (see piece semi-circled in red)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/cjrusso/siv188t.jpg
its all cracked and taped up
Not sure if that would have an affect on the problem, but its probably not helping.

So any help fixing up the problems would be appreciated.
thanks

1996+ cars will never pass inspection with a CEL

Yea did you really just ask that?

alright so that part is answered…
moving on

why’d your brother get ripped off with a 1997 Chevy Lumina and you got a 2009 WRX

it was my mothers, then my dads, then his. he could have gotten a new car if he stayed local for school. but he went to manhattan college and got an apartment down there which he didnt pay for, so no need for a new car when it was hardly going to be driven for four years

probably the tps, but I agree, he did get ripped

clean the iac valve.

vacuum leak at that connector. fix it.

A very large one at that.

lean widdit

alright well the thing is that piece has been broken like that for awhile, and ive tried to get it replaced, but the autoparts stores ive gone to don’t have the part.
so im guessing that i need to go to the dealership to get it replaced or just try the parts stores again to see if they have it?

use ur instict pal

www.rockauto.com

every auto parts place should have that. it’s just the damn PCM valve. if they don’t have a listing you should be able to find it under the HELP section at like advance or whatever.

alright cool i’ll replace it tomorrow.

in case you didnt pick up on it, it needs the entire PCV valve, you can’t just get the top part.

rock widdit

lean WIDIT

yep i understood that. thanks wayne