EVAP System - CEL - Diagnosis help??

2002 Olds Alero

CEL on, wont pass inspection.

Two people have told me the code is the EVAP system, AKA: Gas tank/system.

How do you go diagnosing what the problem is?

The last guy who checked the light said “You need to run a smoke test to find the leak” What exactly is a smoke test, and how will that help? Vacuum leak of some sort?

We both dont smell gas, there is no leaking gas.

The inspection place tore off her inspection sticker, so I’m in a rush/bind trying to help her get this done! Anyone help me out?

if they tore her sticker and it failed for evap, theres a 10 day extension waiver on the inspection report they should have given you

simplest EVAP problem is a gas cap, where you should try buying another one and making sure its on TIGHT, then going to a pep boys/autozone and have them clear the code and see if it comes back on in the next 2-4 days. if it does, theres an EVAP leak somewhere. best way to diagnose is to find someone with a smoke machine, plug it into the evap port, jack the bitch up and find where the smoke is coming from, and replace as appropriate.

if you know someone who has access to mitchells or ondemand, the EVAP code should be a P0440, and you can use their troubleshooters guides online or in print form

Her extension is up in 4 days. We’ve already replaced the gas cap, had the code reset… but it came back.

I took it to a guy i know this morning, and he told me he didnt have the smoke machine, so he couldnt do the test.

Anyone know of a place I can get it done/ anyone that can help me out and do it? I’ll toss you a few bucks, or buy you beer or something.

Thanks again for the info JDMR2. You know anyone that has the equipment?

i can do the test but i cannot do it for free unfortunately, also not sure what exactly i would have to charge, but be assured it would have the ubrf og discount on it :stuck_out_tongue:

if its not the gas cap, its probably some stupid little purge valve…having the same issue with my fathers montana van

POS gm 3400 :tdown:

Can you PM me a price, so I can tell the girlfriend :slight_smile: Thanks again for the speedy response! Shes freaking out, cause who really wants the hastle of getting pulled over because a sticker is missing… right? LOL

Thanks again

10 day extension is ONLY for failing for monitors not set if theres a code it dont count

So what do you do if your car fails inspection and the sticker is removed? Is there something else that you do, or are you supposed to clap your hands and magically get the problems fixed, without the use of the car? LOL

Can someone help besides JDMR2 if hes not around? Anyone else know where to take the car? I’m trying to get this done ASAP

so the simple answer is to go reset those monitors or disconnect the battery, go re-inspect and get your waiver :stuck_out_tongue:

jeff, i won’t be back into work until tuesday, but you can call around to shops and ask how much they charge to diagnose an evap leak…most will probably quote around an hour, so find a shop with the lowest rate…i might be able to squeeze it into a half hour but id have to ask the big guy who signs my checks…

Definitely let me know!

I guess I’ll have to go and pay $21 more dollars to get another 10 day waiver. That kinda sucks.

What time are you working, and where is your shop?

don’t quote me on getting another waiver, the system might only let you get one…ive honestly never tried. i suppose if you didnt put it through as a re-inspect (a la paying $21 all over again at another shop and NOT bringing them your original failure receipt) MIGHT work, but no promises

i think i work 11-8 on tuesday…if not its 9-6…

Whats the address of where you work?

I’m trying to figure out a way to get the car over there. I work until 5:30, but I’m scheduling with my girlfriend to see if maybe she can bring it.

She doesnt know much about cars, hence why I’ve been taking care of this. But, if you check it out and can either A. Fix it cheap, or B. Tell her the parts I need and I’ll do it… that’d work perfectly :slight_smile:

Thanks again

Only 1 waiver. Your supposed to get it inspected before its due like at the beginning of the month if it fails the the sticker stays on. once its overdue its required by regulation to remove the sticker before performing the inspection

and before you go get this checked have you looked to be sure all the vacuum lines around the charcoal canister/egr/etc… are connected and in good shape evap code usually ends up being a vacuum leak in the system

I don’t know the evap system at all on cars. So, this pretty much leaves me shrugging my shoulders. LOL!

It probably is a vacuum leak, as the first person she took it to mentioned it over 3 months ago. She never bothered to get it checked, up until inspection was past-due.

JDMR2, where is your shop. I definitely want to bring it by to have it checked and find whats wrong. I’ll probably just pay you to fix it as well, cause I’m just a super boyfriend and all. I just want her to stop worrying about it already…

Thanks again guys!

Theres a vacuum chart under the hood follow all the lines and make sure they arent cracked/loose etc…
if you wait till tomorrow i’ll look up the exact diag flow chart i wasnt in my office today to look it up. what was it a 02 alero?? or something and which eng?

Its an 02 Alero. 2.2L GL 4-door.

I’ll check under the hood for the vacuum diagram. Do you have the equipment too?

Also, I really need to know where JDMR2’s shop is so I can bring the car there tomorrow… anyone else know?

1795 Sheridan Drive, right next to ToT HQ

i’ll be there after 12…

Awesome! If I don’t show up, my girlfriend will. I’ll tell her where to go, just take care of her!

I’m gonna take a look at the car tonight, and see if there is any evident problems. I already replaced the gas cap, so its gotta be a leak somewhere else…

Thanks again!

You want me to call ahead? PM me the #