Need Help, Failed Inspection - computer related

“Not Ready” Cat system
“Not Ready” EVAC System

codes from the system, or rather… no codes at all!

I had the CEL cleared over 500 miles ago. The codes still havent reset/cleared back to normal/CEL.

There are two O2 sensors, one precat one after. A shop told me an O2 sensor needed replacing but wouldnt say which one.

So, he reset the CPU/Codes to try and trick the system.

I need someone who has a computer reader/knowhow to help me out in figure this out!

Its on a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4-door.

What can I do to either get the codes to reset, or hurry them along so I can find out what to replace? The guy didnt disconnect the negative terminal on the battery… I was thinking of doing this, but decided to wait to hear from you guys first :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

jeff… my romate has the software on his laptop to scan the car. He is in texas, but should be home tonight PM me and i will give you his phone number

PM sent. Hopefully he is available tomorrow (if hes home…)

If anyone local has the equipment and is available tonight/tomorrow, that’d be awesome :slight_smile:

the alero is crap … she needs a better car haha

sorry to hijack:)

your not sorry. Stop with the lies

goood luck on the EVAP code

You’re right, I’m not sorry

haha

Arent you late for work D?!

LOL

if the systems “aren’t ready”, theres nothing a computer is going to help you do…the systems haven’t reset yet. EVAP and catalysts are always the last to reset due to their function, but 500 miles is a bit steep. stop into any auto place that does inspections and ask for the “what do you mean my car isnt ready” folder, as it lists the proper steps for resetting “most” vehicles if the system doesn’t ready itself before then.

if the CEL was on before, and now its off but your cat and evap systems aren’t reset, you really can’t “trick” the system, which was designed to keep tards like you from doing so :stuck_out_tongue: if the CEL trips back on…well…do the smart thing and have it scanned then to see what the problem is. if its an evap code, try replacing the gas cap first and then re-test the system. if it shows a cat code, have fun b/c aleros have either 2 or 3 o2 sensors (depending on the motor), which aren’t cheap either

yay for nys new inspection machines

:lolham:

Sounds like the drive cycles havent set for cat monitor or evap monitor if its pre 2000 year you can have 2 moniters not set and it will pass if its 2001 and up it will pass with one monitor not set. evap uaually needs a cold soak over night to like 40 degrees which may not happen till next winter. the cat monitor should set tho. if you know someone in the biz have them look up drivecycle info on your vehicle, some cat’s are tough i did all kinds of highway cruising to get one to set then looked it up and it needed stop and go to set the cats gotta get real hot

The CEL came back on today! I need someone that has a code reader so I can find the part I need to replace :slight_smile:

Anyone help me out?