Chevy volt does 127mpg...

The comments tell the story.

thats crazy

I thought the Volt was a completely electric car so I was surprised to see it has a gas motor at all

Whatever happens, I am sure there a large sums of money being throw around here.

the electric motor drives the car, the gas motor is there just to charge the batteries.

And connect to flywheel in times of need, making it gas powered

all the hybrid hype will be gone once the batteries need a place to be disposed of …my god all the money people spend on alt fuels is a joke . why not make the cars we have now far more efficient instead of worryin about this ? or instead of worrying about a new head for a lsx??? whatevr number now lol . the possibilty is there , hippies just need to die and let us be

DIESEL

that is all

So what happens if you go on a roadtrip? You have to plug it in at your hotel? Bring an extension cord and hope nobody fucks with it overnight?

Charging stations is a new business…

remember I said that …

Huh?
It’s an electric car with a gas generator in the “trunk”, there is no direct gas drive like in a prius.

Edit:
Nevermind, looks like it’s more complex than I thought:
the gasoline engine can engage mechanically to the output from the transmission and assist both electric motors to drive the wheels, hence the Volt can also operate as a power-split or series-parallel hybrid when additional power is required.

Why is there a transmission if it’s driven by electric motors? Confused.

The volt is a plug-in hybrid, not an EV. To greatly oversimplify it it is the same concept as a Prius.

Purely electric vehicles are niche vehicles at this point, they are not designed to be an only car for someone who plans on taking roadtrips. They have their distinct advantages and drawbacks just like every other niche vehicle. After all, if you can rationalize spending 10k more on a leaf than a civic/altima for your ONLY car then you’re a hippy, an idiot, or someone who doesn’t ever need or want to drive more than X miles/day.

DIESEL

that is all

TDI Jetta>Toyota>Honda>>>>>>>>bicycle>>>>>>>>>Walking>>>>>GM

Well that makes sense.

I remember seeing charging stations in San Diego when I visited about 8-10 years ago, when that Saturn electric car debuted.

Car manufacturers simply will not allow a fully electric vehicle, and for good reason…with today’s battery technology/lack of infrastructure it’s just not feasible.

I like the idea of an electric car which uses the gas engine to simply generate electricity, maybe even a small 2 or three cylinder diesel engine.

My point is…it’s a business, but it’s not new, and it’s not a very good one RIGHT now.

DIESEL.

That is all.

In the “I need this yesterday” society charging stations won’t work.

The volt is suppose to be able to be plugged in and charged over a few hours and that will get you roughly 40 miles. I don’t know how many kilowatts of electricity it takes to fully charge the batteries, but it’s suppose to be less than 2 dollars worth. The motor will also kick on if it hasn’t been run in a certain period of time (it’s like 2 or 3 weeks) to keep the fuel in the injectors and rails fresh enough. There is a lot of additional technology that goes into it also. I only got some of the very basic info on them at work, but one of the other guys had to goto about a weeks worth of training so the dealership could order one.