Chevy Volt pricing

I’d be willing to be that manufacturing as a whole > fuel

so once you drastically cut fuel oil consumption (consumer / commercial ICEs), you have a central emissions point to work on, in manufacturing.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-and-services/hot-off-the-press/manufacturing-energy-use-survey/manufacturing-energy-use-survey-yemar06-hotp.htm?page=para003Master

interesting figures… still not a real answer though. Looking online for actual numbers

Here ya go:
http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_cons_psup_dc_nus_mbblpd_a.htm

Get out your calculator, or figure out a way to import that into Excel. It’s a total breakdown of where our 20,687,000 barrels/day goes.

Finished Petroleum Products
Finished Motor Gasoline

seems like a good chunk…

Good point, charging time would make play a huge factor. Tesla’s car has a ~250 mile range however, which is far more than necessary even for 99% of peoples “extended” trips.

And also, the argument for the normal life comes in where most people don’t commute that far, and yada yada. The only time I need to travel more than 250 miles in a day, I usually fly.

To be honest, when I’m a homeowner, I’ll be much more concerned with savnig on utilities than saving on my gas. Until something easy comes around.

Nice. Calculator:

2007 total consumption: 20,698

Finished Motor Gasoline 44.8%
Finished Aviation Gasoline 0.08%
Kero Jet Fuel 7.8%
Distillate Fuel Oil 20%

72% of the crude consumption was for the use of transportation in some way shape of form.

Wow. So long as those numbers are right…

250 mile range on paper. Real world, 200 if you’re lucky. So I’m going to be dangerously close to having to push if I want to run down to Erie PA for some fireworks, or the Finger Lakes for a wine tasking. I’m fucked if I want to go to the 1000 Islands. There’s aren’t plane trips either. Again, when you see “250 mile range” you’re thinking of gasoline where you can run 240 miles and then start looking for a gas station with very little chance of not being able to find one. 10 minute fillup and you’re on your way. With a pure electric car when your charge starts getting low you’re going to panic because there is no way to charge it with spending hours on the plug, and even then there’s no filling station anyway. Bottom line, it’s a toy because you still need a real car.

The Volt was looking real promising @ 30k + government incentives. Tack an extra 10k onto that 30k price like GM did though and now there’s just no way to justify the car financially. Great if you’re rich and want to feel good about not running on oil, but the majority of consumers don’t have that kind of money to blow on environmental masterbation.

It’s a novelty for the rich.

You know, the more that I look at JayS’ link, the more i realize that the sheeple are idiots.

The Big Oil conspiracy, how they are covertly working prices & inflate demand… and how bad oil & emissions are, and blah blah blah.

Yet, overall consumption of Finished motor gasoline (in thousands of barrels PER DAY):

2002 - 8848
2003 - 8943
2004 - 9105
2005 - 9159
2006 - 9253
2007 - 9290

Conservation, such a novel idea. :roll:

Like mentioned previously, it is a developing technology. Who knows? Maybe in 10 years, electric cars will have a 1000 mile range.

I certainly understand your point, just trying to argue what’s best for the long run.

just like the first personal computers.

^ And when did PCs start taking off, publicly? Not until they offered some use (entertainment, commercially, or otherwise) to the bulk or america.

The VOLT is great, for those scientists & nerds that regularly used the commodores, and even the apple IIe… however, how much effect can electric cars have on oil dependancy & emissions when a mere 2% of the population is making use of them?

Absolutely its better for the long run.

However, you need someone to adopt it early on and make it marketable / reasonable / obtainable to those that are not eco-terrorists. :slight_smile:

It has to be ready accessible and efficient. Look at Blue Ray vs. HDDVD. Sony “won” because they took the studios.

Gasoline will continue to concur because they have the gas stations.

Bad analogy, I know. But I’m getting ready to go home, lol.

Yeah, I said earlier I think electric cars will get there some day. They’ll probably dump the battery by then and move to some sort of capacitor that can take a charge in a fraction of the time it takes a battery. But today the pure electric just doesn’t work as transportation. Even if every gas station in the US added a plug for charging the cars the time required to charge would still cause it to fail.

Enough whining! How do we mod it to go faster ???

http://www.johnstonservices.com/autowindupkey/Auto_Wind-up_Key_on_Greta2.jpg

sorry, someone had to.

lol

“he offered the fact that Chevrolet would be losing money on the first-generation Volt…”
2010?

Am I the only one that sees this?

Their slogan should be - GM, looking to the future to find new ways to lose money.

:lol:

Fill the trunk with a huge spring. Wind it up yourself right after dinner.

• Less oil consumption
  • Less fat people
  • Less people taking unnecessary trips (you’ll think twice if you have to wind that bitch up every night)You might be on to something.

Cough:fewer:cough:P