Chiropractor? Anyone know a good one near the city?

per many many medical journals, chiropractors have a lot of dangerours aspects about them

Do you need to see a chiropractor? Many people think they do. Just about everyone thinks of a chiropractor when back pain is mentioned. There is considerable evidence that spinal manipulation can help relieve some types of neck and back pain. But neck manipulation can be dangerous. And according to a study published in the October 8, 1998, New England Journal of Medicine, spinal manipulation may be no more effective than physical therapy in the treatment of back pain and only marginally more effective than following a self-help instruction booklet. So what about chiropractic treatment? [1] Should you – or any member of your family – ever go to a chiropractor?
There is no doubt that dramatic relief of back pain will occasionally occur when manipulation is used to unlock a binding spinal joint. Many people with acute or chronic back pain experience relief of symptoms when the spine is loosened by manipulation performed by a chiropractor, an osteopath, a physical therapist, or an orthopedist. Manipulation is most readily available from chiropractors, however, and a report issued by the RAND Corporation stated that 94% of all such manipulation in the United States is done by chiropractors [2]. For this reason, many people who have back pain will visit a chiropractic office where they will experience spinal manipulation for the first time.
A survey of Consumer Reports readers published in May 2000 found that 35% of 46,860 respondents had used alternative therapies for a variety of problems, 40% of whom had chiropractic treatment for back pain [3]. The back-pain patients rated deep-tissue massage, chiropractic treatment, exercise, and physical therapy (in that order) as more effective than prescription drugs, acupuncture, over-the-counter drugs, and other forms of treatment.
Obviously, many people with back pain are going to chiropractors, and most of them are satisfied with the care they receive. But many are unaware of the controversy and the nonsense associated with some forms of chiropractic treatment and often become victims of misinformation.

read this before going

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chiroeval.html

and if we are talking about personal experiences, a chirotpractor killed my grandfater, short story: Blood clot, chiropractor mis diagnosed it to be an “Out of aline spine” (go figure), “Aligned” his spine causing his clot to become loose, clot traveled to heart, massive heart attack. any one with an MD training would have found it, but since you go for training to become a chiropractor, not to school, it was mis diagnosed.

Again, go to a specialtist, it will be a more permenent solution

No more dangerous than taking Aspirin or Tylenol. In fact, more people die each year from Aspirin than people who have died from chiropractic in 50+ years. Yes it’s sad that your grandpa died but that’s very rare.

Besides, we’re talking about Spencer’s back here. Unless he goes to some hack, as is the case with any medical professional, he isn’t going to be worse off than he is now. That’s why this thread exists, so we can recommend someone to him.

But I’ve got to address this:

They don’t go to school? Where did you get that from? Here is a more recent, reputable link:

Click HERE - WebMD Link

Chiropractic students must have a minimum of 3 years (90 credits) of undergraduate study before applying to a chiropractic college. Upon completion of a 4-year program, the chiropractic student receives a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) degree. Chiropractors are licensed in every state and must pass a four-part examination with the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners.

You have to go to school for 7 years before you become a chiropractor. And all your classes are taught by PHDs and MDs. Only 1 credit hour a year focuses specifically on chiropractic principles, the rest are the same classes MDs take.

This isn’t hard to find information :gotme:

^^ Here’s a good source to help you make a decision as to if you really need it Spence.

Or it isn’t hard under stand the info either

you do NOT need a bachlors to get your chiropractor liscense, sad but true. you only need 90 quarter based undergrad hours, basically your AA

and not sure, but directly from a D.C. program, none of your classes are medically based

prereqs are actually easier and more generic than an engineering degree

<b>SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES  </b>
<b>Semester Hours</b>
<b>Quarter Hours</b>
<i>English Communication and/or English Language Skills</i>
All courses must be unduplicated
Literature Courses are not recommended
<i>Psychology</i>
<i>Social Sciences or Humanities</i>
(Does not include mathematics, science, business, computers, engineering or physical education)

<b>[LEFT]SCIENCES</b>[/LEFT]
<i>Biology <i>with corresponding lab*
</i></i>Two or more unduplicated courses in biology 

<i>Chemistry <i>with corresponding lab**
</i></i>12 semester hours of Chemistry of which: 
At least 3 semester hours must be General/Inorganic Chemistry
At least 6 semester hours must be Organic and/or Biochemistry
All courses must be unduplicated
6 of the required 12 hours must include a corresponding lab

<i>Physics <i>with corresponding lab***
</i></i>Two unduplicated classes, one with a corresponding lab<i>
                                     -or-
</i>3 semester hours in Physics, with corresponding lab and 3 semester hours in one of either Biomechanics, Kinesiology, Statistics or Exercise Physiology
(Physics I and II with lab are required by certain states)

and the classes that you actually do take are even more of a joke

CCE Competencies:

- History Taking
- Physical Examination
- Neuromusculoskeletal Examination
- The Psychosocial Assessment
- Diagnostic Studies
- Diagnosis or Clinical Impression
- Case Management
- Adjusting Competencies
- Emergency Care Competencies
- Case Follow-up and Review
- Record Keeping
- The Doctor-Patient Relationship
- Professional Issues
- Non-adjustive Therapeutic Procedures 

http://www.palmer.edu/PCCF/PCCF_Academics/DC/DCCurriculum.htm

Regarless of how hard the classes are, you still claimed that chiropractors don’t go to school…

… when if fact, as you just proved, they do.

subscribed

Ok they do go to school, its more of a vocational school than a school of higher learning. You are right, but I do consider vocational schools to be more of training than learning, as you only do what is pertenent to what you are doing, and not have other education that will help your field, only the basics what you need to know