ChumpCar May 22 weekend - Watkin's Glenn

I haven’t seen some of my NY friends in a long time. If things go as planned I’ll be at the ChumpCar weekend at Watkins Glen May 22. I’ll be with the “No Budget Racing” team in the #998 Miata. White with a red stripe. Let me know if you’re also competing.
Frank

It’s “Watkins Glen”

See you there… We are Spork sports racing and will have a pair of integras. I think we still have 149 and I’m not sure what the other number is.

we will also be in NJ in a month.

Have fun guys. Looks like a great time :tup:

yeah, this first of two events at the glen kicks off with 3 days racing. 6 hour races friday and sunday. 8 hour race saturday. Not bad for a $1300/car entry.

I’ll look forward to seeing you there, theblue. We are aiming for most of the Canadian races - and maybe one other U.S. race.
Pardon my spelling.

I might show up if I can wrangle a ride. My team is doing Daytona that weekend because 150 mph Saabs.

I’ll be there in a Mk1 Rabbit. Hopefully it will make it a few laps this year before it goes kaboom.

Sounds like it will be a full track! I’ll look forward to seeing you there - we’re committed to being there!

Not sure if you guys know this but the tech inspections are being done annually now. It’s going to be a cluster getting everyone through on Friday morning before the green flag. Sal set one up in Ajax Ont. on 4/5 in case anyone’s interested.

yeah, that’s going to be a bit of a nightmare, luckily not our first race.

It looks like we will get some nice weather this weekend. Everyone come out and watch a bunch of sketchy beaters race each other.

see you there… I can’t wait… I’ve put in so many hours the last couple weeks getting both of our cars up an running.

cars #149 SporkSports racing and #49 . KimJongIl racing

#Cretinx and #Originalsterm are both driving with us from here.

I don’t know our car number but I think you might be familiar with the car. I watched a video from last years Pittsburg race of our MK1 blasting into your car. Sorry on the drivers behalf. I wasn’t there but I talked to him when he got back and he felt pretty bad.

Good luck though. We were put into EC class so it’s just for fun at this point.

yeah, that wasn’t fun, we were more angry that nobody came over to talk to us after, but it’s in the past now so no hard feelings.

All in all we had a great weekend racing. The Rabbit ran in the middle of the pack all three days with a broken exhaust header and some typical MK1 mechanical issues. No racing incidents on our end but I witnessed a bunch. It seemed like there were more FCY laps than Green ones especially during the first session each day. Going three wide in the Bus Stop was great!

we had a great time, but lots of mechanical issues.

I got us from 22nd to 12th in the first stint ever for our new GSR integra. unfortunately later in the day we threw a rod ending that race. we put our spare junkyard backup motor in on friday night, but it blew up a few hours into saturday. Our older teg did much better until saturday afternoon when the transmission started popping out of great pretty bad. we replaced that and the car ran great all sunday.

I got a 2:28 in the GSR (it was slower than the non-gsr in retrospect as the engine was probably never so healthy based on some other cars passing me) and on sunday in the non-GSR I was getting 2:30 and probably could have squeezed a little more out of it if I had more seat time.

looking like we are running first in this pic :slight_smile:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1966741_10152427188992346_7683327274731833945_n.jpg

We were running 2:35-2:40 at about 7/10. We were only getting around 1:15/tank of fuel so we needed to pit a lot. We did run all three days on a single set of tires which was surprising.

What’s your next race? Maybe Calabogie for us.

Lime Rock is next up for us… I’d like to do VIR, but I doubt I can get my team to pull it off. Do you have a plan to get your car to go a 2 hour stint? without that you’ll never be competitive unless you find boat loads more power.

Did you hear that Ralph Gilles, the head of SRT was at the race. The neon noticed him there and invited him to drive their car and he did. how cool is that?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32720[/ATTACH]

(he’s the black guy)

I didn’t get to see him but I wonder if he was there because of the practice session that was going on before Chump. There was at least one SRT Viper being loaded onto a trailer when we got there. I think we are eventually going to put a fuel cell in the car.

I guess he was racing with some other team in Chump. He was also there last year I think.