civic shifter??

looking at buying a 95 civic and when i went to drive it the shifter has a lot of play… if you go to put it in first you sometimes end up in third, also when you have it in gear you can move the shifter side to side touching the plastic counsel (very sloppy). it drives fine and all the gears work could it just be bushings? where should i look? any info is helpful thanks

it’s just the bushings. fairly easy to replace.

almost all civic eg’s feel like that and you can order the bushings at any auto parts store.

Ebay short shifter for like $5 work best.

what a lot of people do, is instead of putting the pin back in on the side of the linkeage that goes to the tranny, they just put in a nut and bolt. Its much easier. If the bolt you put in is too small for the spot, you end up with a ton of play. check it, get a bigger bolt if necessary.

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:5,topic:38294"”]

what a lot of people do, is instead of putting the pin back in on the side of the linkeage that goes to the tranny, they just put in a nut and bolt. Its much easier. If the bolt you put in is too small for the spot, you end up with a ton of play. check it, get a bigger bolt if necessary.

[/quote]

BAD IDEA DO NOT DO THAT!!! That is not where the play comes from and thats a good way of fucking up a tranny.

i might have a bushing kit laying around ill have to look. If not they are cheap on ebay

Energy suspension makes them cheap, the only thing that sucks is the bolts are almost always rusted really badly.

Just like jdmsir said
short shifter from eGay = problem solved

[quote=“91CRXSI,post:6,topic:38294"”]

BAD IDEA DO NOT DO THAT!!! That is not where the play comes from and thats a good way of fucking up a tranny.

i might have a bushing kit laying around ill have to look. If not they are cheap on ebay

[/quote]

i dont see how its a bit deal if it fits snuggly

i don’t think a short shifter will fix your problem, the bushing that wears out is a block shape, usually the o rings inside the base of the shifter aren’t the problem. the block fits into the base where the linkage bolts to the shifter. unless the short shifter comes with this block, i’ll try to post pics of what the part i’m talking about is later, i’ve got one in my basement. a short shifter will only mask the slop, not fix it.

^ no, it will fix it.