cleaning carbon and burnt oil off pistons?

it took hours to get the rings out of the pistons… ugh
there is some nasty shit built up in the ring lands. whats the best way to clean them up?

[quote=“Zer0DazE”"]

it took hours to get the rings out of the pistons… ugh
there is some nasty shit built up in the ring lands. whats the best way to clean them up?

[/quote]

If you can find the equipment, I remember back in the day using an air gun setup that used crushed up walnut shells as a blast agent. However, doing my best to stay away from rebuilds over the past 10 years or so, I can’t say if there’s a newer, better way.

wheel acid dip, or soaking in concentrated degreaser or throttle body cleaner or fuel system cleaner

Just drop them on the floor a few times, shit will fall right off…

lol, +1 for throttle body cleaner.

good wheel acid will cloud the surface of bare aluminium

if the rings are all out use a brokenring toscrub the grooves, and use a white scotch brite for the flats

brass brushes also work well on the piston top

and oh yea, let them soak overnight in kero / gasoline or something else thats not enviromentaly friendly

[quote=“Viper966,post:3,topic:31169"”]

wheel acid dip, or soaking in concentrated degreaser or throttle body cleaner or fuel system cleaner

[/quote]

+1 for soaking in concentrated degreaser. I used Purple Power degreaser from Clean-Rite.

why did it take so long to get the rings out, was there so much buildup that they were just stuck, or what? that’s a lot of crap :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:5,topic:31169"”]

use a broken ring to scrub the grooves

[/quote]

:tup: yeah, scrape it out this way

Laquer Thinner will eat this type of residue for lunch… FYI

[quote=“MXS,post:7,topic:31169"”]

why did it take so long to get the rings out, was there so much buildup that they were just stuck, or what? that’s a lot of crap :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

yeah, there is a metric ass ton of shit in in the grooves