Clutch on the TDI

So after 1/4 million miles of faithful service the Clutch bit the big one tonight… the TOB started making Horrible noises so I drove it to the apt. call the rents told them I was pulling the EVO out tomarrow and putting the TDI in.
As I was pulling in the apt drive way the car shuddered and died… and now wont turn over… I think the TOB sezed so will call AAA tomarrow to have it towed after the evo is out of the way.

after a bit of review it looks like the G60 flywheel mated with a VR6 clutch is the best to go… I was waiting for the clutch so I can now chip it as the VR clutch is stronger and should hold up to 300hp and im not looking to make it faster then the EVO I should NEVER come close to that.

god this sucks I need to be in NC I reallllllt dont wont to drive the evo (no cruise, Recaro’s, and 20 mpg gross…)

but Ill see about doing a DIY…

I did that exact clutch install - it is fairly straight forward, just a BITCH to do without a lift.

indeed bitch withouth lift :tdown:

haha i dont think you need to be worried with how much hp the setup can handle as the amount of ft/lbs…

good luck with the install none the less :tup:

thanks I’ve done a few vr clutch’s and this seams to be the same funny tho on the way down here ( nc) I felt the evo clutch slipping so when the TDI is out guess the evo goes in man when it rains it pours

Well a little update…

I’m about 1/4 of the way in…
Ive got the air-box pulled, Battery and tray, starter, axles disconnected and tied up, shift linkage off, and the slave off,

I’m at the point of taking out the Mounts… and Ive snapped the bolt on the lower tranny mount to the sub frame… I’m not sure what I’m going to do I still have to pull the other bolt hope that one doesn’t brake…

oh well off to finish this up

trannys out… I did brake the other lower tranny mount bolt… oh well left the mount anging pulled tranny out around it…

Now my problem is I cant get the flywheel out… stupid dualmass flywheel… help

I cant get to the bolts like the inner to the flywheel is turned so its covering the bolts… can i turn it if so which way… or can i pull that apart?

I ended up using a cut off tool, and cutting off the hub to the flywheel…

new flywheel (1 piece, no more stupid dual mass) clutch and Pressure plate are in… the tranny is bolted back up (minus the starter…) the rest will have to wait till tomarrow