Evo/4g63 Owners few questions....

well my Clutch is slipping on anything more then stock boost… the car has 25kish miles… I run all-season tires, haven’t done any track time (quarter mile/ track) just haven’t had time. might do a track day in the future…

Car currently has
Cams (262’s)
cam gears (5* on exhaust)
QTP Quick disconnect down-pipe
Larger Injectors (the guy who tuned it told me I forget)
Larger pump
Cone filter
Red top battery

The car runs 25-26 psi with a custom tune.

other mods… boost gauge, oil pressure gauge (not hooked up currently) and turbo timer.

I average around 18mpg… wifey averages 21 when she drives…
this summer as she will be going back to school she will be DD the car.

So what clutch do you run/with what mods? what do you suggest I run? I probably wont be modding the car anytime in the near future… maybe have mike re-tune it(but that would be it)

the wifey oked me to get this Exedy twin plate but that might be over kill and make it harder to DD… So I was thinking maybe something like this Exedy stage 1 or maybe just get the ACT HDSS and have the stock flywheel resurfaced

For what you have listed. (are you sure they aren’t 272 cams?) If you dont plan on modding the car much more heavily then the ACT clutch will work just fine. The stock flywheel is LIGHT. You don’t need a lightened flywheel I think there is 2 lbs difference between stock and ACT prolite.

don’t the twin disk setups lessn pedel pressure?

yes.

Twin disc = less pedal pressure and more money

ACT = more pedal pressure (not too much) and less money.

It all depends on what you are looking to spend. In higher torque applications multi disc setups are always the way to go.

Don summed it up. ACT HDSS would be fine. If you really want lower pedal effort, be prepared to pay. I haven’t had anyone complain about the HDSS pedal effort.

We have the clutch and can install. PM if interested.

thanks for the incite… I was talking to theblue and paul in another thread… Ill probably do the clutch myself… i was told other then the ACD box its rather straight forward. Ive done FWD clutches many times… and I have plenty of time before it NEEDs to be on the road…

although Mike ill probably be around for a new tune when the clutch is broken in…

and Don im not sure about the cam… I was down in Charlotte and had a friend of a friend look over the car and give it a “safe” tune… he rattled off the mods after looking over the car and I thought he said 262 but I could be wrong… when I have mike tune it I’ll have him look it over…

don and mike nailed it, the HDSS will be perfect unless to upgrade to a 3065 or 35r… otherwise xtreme w/ 6 puck or exedy twin

with the HDSS my pedal feels exactly like stock

No problem I was just throwing the offer out there. Changing the clutch on an Evo is nothing like any FWD job I’ve seen, even though the Evo is like FWD+, so just be prepared. Also, I would never call running 25-26 psi on the stock turbo all the time on 93 octane a “safe” tune. Not even close. If you come in for a tune we’ll check it out briefly to see how it’s been running.

Similar mods to you and got a bout 60k on my stock clutch still. Why the larger injectors? was there a turbo kit on this car before?

We have to go do some runs sometime, let me know when your cars back out.

Jeller

Yeah, but your car has seen half a dozen track days, it’s better for clutches. :smiley:

X…

Could have been… I bought the car with 10k on it… and it had the pump and injectors altho the dealer I bought it knew nothing. Im SURE the clutch was abused…

but sure after the brake in… we can give a run or 2…

back on topic: what about doing an Exedy stage 1 if the ACT is whats recommended why not just a lesser stage Exedy?

Does any one on the bored run an aftermarket clutch other then ACT?

i woudlnt even bother with the stage 1, go with ACT w/ the stock flywheel u wont be disappointed

just remember to adjust your clutch better after installation. also take out the restrictor pill and put in a SS clutch line, makes a world of difference, just make sure to bleed your clutch after

restrictor out is soo much better. Did it on my car, shifts much better.

Jeller

Ordered the clutch… 445 shipped (ACT-HDSS) looking for the SS line now… I guess this will leave a few bucks for another mod lol.

and found a write up for the pill removel:
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=4&tech_id=4&osCsid=b84650e8d15503ce6f5c77616b84523f

and clutch:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=91901&highlight=Clutch

tossing around doing the sub frame removel… altho seems like a wast of time…
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=274987

meh, i wouldnt say its necessary. sliding the tranny down on a pry bar will help a ton since it wont get snagged up on anything. just be careful of the transfer case, it likes to pin itself while your moving the motor around. make sure it stays free and doesnt get pinned by the motor.

be sure to have like 4 jacks when u do it lol, u will be disconnecting 3 of the 4 motor mounts

I think I’m going to remove the steering rack on mine. I want to replace the front sway bushings and steering rack bushings.

my advice is to get some quotes from various shops to do the clutch… Having done a transfer case on a lift (which is more work then doing a clutch) I would be happy to pay 400-700 to not deal with all the drama again. I had the good fortune to have my clutch go right after I replaced my transfer case – I took it to hybrid for a clutch and felt sorry for them even though I was paying good money. If you don’t have a lift then FORGET IT…

I would talk to either mike@innovative or emery@street tuned for quotes… some things are just better left to people who do this stuff daily…

I wish I could say that was an option but its really not… I have a pretty well equipped garage no lift but air-tools/ hoist heated two car garage… my uncle offered to let me do it in his garage (he does have a lift but then I would have a 2 day limit as he uses his garage for work.) so I’d rather be able to just walk away at points if I get frustrated and come back when I want. the cars off the road so if it takes me weeks it would be fine.

but ya Paul I figure ill probably start doing it with the member there if It gets to frustrating ill remove it… maybe ill give you a heads up the weekend ill be under the car… and you could stop by, shot the poop, grab a beer I mean pop (as I would never give beer to a minor), and give a few pointers… I have 3 jacks but I can grab another.

I went through hell on a lift, I wish you good luck on jackstands and will be amazed if you don’t tell me I was right and that you should have just taken it somewhere after you’re done or give up trying.

I’m pretty bad as a mechanic, but it’s all possible to figure out if you take your time and follow the directions.

i did it in my garage on jackstands w/ jacks supporting the motor… wtf is so hard about it? its not hard, just time consuming taking all the other BS off to get the actual tranny out

edit: get a tranny jack, made my life so much easier. as well as a slide hammer, u will need that to get your axles out