"Cold" Air Intake

Alright. Heres the deal. im 17, have a part time job makin 7 dollars/hour and drive a cavalier.since gas is expected to go to 3 dollars/gallon by the summer, im trying to make my cavi the ultimate gas sipping machine. I found this “cold” air intake kit on ebay. its relatively cheap and comes w/ a k&n filter. do you guys think that this would make a difference in saving gas mileage. would it be worth the 50 bucks? Do these things even do anything?? im not worried about the HP increase since this thing is slow as shit to begin with. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-97-Cavalier-2-2-Chrome-Intake-System-w-K-N-Filter-96_W0QQitemZ8057033866QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks
-Kevin

just get a drop in K&N

metal is and will always be the worst material for an intake because it draws heat faster than air. I think you may be able to modify the stock air box, and dont spend the money.

Just buy the filter and put it on the stock airbox.

if you get a true cold air intake your IATs will be lower and that’ll command more fueling for the additional air

what you want is a high flowing warm air intake or short ram

oh and I wouldn’t buy shit from ebay that says “intake”

what 01GPGT said is correct, you should look at a WAI or short ram (which in the case of the Cavi is the same thing). When I put my intake on, coupled with my exhaust, my MPG definitely got better.

Check j-body.org also, there are a lot of posts asking about improving gas
mileage.

That intake you posted will get the job done for you just fine.

Thanks for the help guys…what i ended up doing was just eliminating the airbox and putting a cone filter onto the stock tubing.we’ll see how it goes