Colorado vacation?

We’re looking for a place to go in Sept (without the kids). I was thinking Colorado or maybe New England. Anyone been there before and have suggestions on what part of the state to stay in?

The wife just wants to go somewhere where we can sleep in and relax, which would be pretty much anywhere that isn’t home! I liked the looks of the hiking, trails, mountains, scenic stuff in Colorado.

Just west of Denver seemed like it’s close to a lot of the state parks, scenic trains, mine tours. I just don’t know the state, so any suggestions are welcome.

I have been to Colorado twice before, I love it there. We went there in the winter to snowboard. There is a lot to do and the skiing is great. One place you might want to look into is Jackson Hole, WY. If you want a scenic get away, that’s the place, hands down. Its so remote, big planes can’t fly into the airport. Jackson Hole would be a great relaxing vacation.

my wife and I go to CO quite a bit and we have some friends in Boulder.

If you like a total relaxation away from the city get away, I would probably check out Breckenridge. It’s about 80mi west of denver just past the Eisenhour? tunnels. It’s the off season now so it should be really quiet. They have lots of mountain biking and hiking, are pretty close to Denver/airport and even closer to the mine tours, canyons, and Golden (coors brewery). My feeling is that you can’t go wrong with the I-70 corridor there. I would rent a car if I were you too, just keep that in mind. Within Breck transportation isn’t a problem but getting everywhere else will be. Flights have usually been cheap and direct but I haven’t checked for about a couple of months now so that might have changed.

Most of my trips have been either early or late season skiing, so December or April and I’ve always loved it.

oh, I forgot to add that you might want to watch the altitude there a little. I think base is 9 or 10k feet and my last trip there I got rocked pretty hard by it one night. Advantage, you don’t have to drink a lot to get drunk. Disadvantage, your head and heart feel like they are going to explode.

We have frequent flyer miles that we can hopefully use. Definitely getting a rental car to roam around.

I had actually just looked at Breckenridge. I’ll have to check it out more.

I saw they have Jeep rentals to drive around the trails too. I wonder if I can pull that one off - she’d have to find that more entertaining than riding around in a golf cart with me.

Isn’t anywhere without the kids good enough?

My aunt and uncle lived in Denver for awhile. I’ll shoot her an e-mail to see about some good spots to go. She used to be a travel agent so she still keeps an eye out for good places to go.

I am still trying to figure out why you would want to go somewhere without the kids. :nuts:

Jeep + mountains = fun

Colorado springs has the garden of the gods, did a two hour horse ride through there, and enjoyed it… been there a few times once just to see the Pikes Peak hill climb race.

Jackson Hole was pretty cool, especially being so close to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Everytime I’ve been there, I felt we ran out of time. Can’t wait until the kids are old enough to take them, been there once with the wife, and once before I meet her…

as has kind of been implied by the other responses, there are a ton of places to hit up out west, but to me, the best bang for the buck is still the I-70 in colorado. It’s reasonably cheap and easy to get to, and if you get bored in the mountains you can go to a major city and hang out in LoDo which is very reminiscent of the southside with tons of bars, restaurants and shops. Only the Rockies totally dwarf the SS slopes…

edit: I-70 would be anything from Loveland, Breck, a-basin, copper, keystone, all the major resorts just a short jog off of the highway. Hell, Loveland has a set of lifts like right off of the highway.

get a cabin in the smoky mountains in TENN…cheep beautiful cabins the one we just stayed in was over a 700,000 cabin three stories 5 bedrooms hot tub full kitchen…the works

easy drive…

http://www.hickorymist.com/

x2
we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Gatlinburg Tennessee about 10 years ago, it was a great vacation.

moonlite bunny ranch

My Cousin Goes to school at CO State and he LOVES it out there…

my dad went to Jackson Hole, WY and said it is VERY VERY Nice there and looks forward to going back soon for another Vacation

We actually just went to Colorado 2 weeks ago. We flew into denver and made the 2 hour drive to Dillon, CO. which is about 10 minutes away from Breckenridge and about 2 mins away from silverthorne) was a lot cheaper to stay at. Breck was pretty nice, lots of outdoor activities. It does take some getting used to due to the elevation change, much harder to breathe at 8000+ft above sea level. We rented a Jeep for the week (if you rent a Jeep commander make sure get one with a V8 the v6 we had barely made it up the hills on rt 70)