Comp to TV: DVI, VGA, HDMI?

I have a macbook pro which has a mini display port

I just purchased an insignia 42" plasma, seen here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23174%3B+-+42"+Class+/+720p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9299822.p?id=1218079780935&skuId=9299822&st=insignia%2042&cp=1&lp=1

After asking the best buy employees (2 of them) multiple times if this television has a vga input, and being told yes, I get it home and alas, none.

It also doesn’t have a dvi port.

So my only option apparently is mini display port to hdmi. which apple doesn’t make

it is however available on ebay. I was just wondering if there is any disadvantage to this method of connection, basically why doesn’t apple sell it? Or should I look into another tv?

I don’t have cable, and likely won’t until june when my lease runs out and I move into a new place. I just bought it to watch hockey games on, I have the gamecenter live package online. So for now the primary use of my television is to watch hockey from my computer

thanks in advance for any and all information

That’s weird. I have a 32" Insignia Plasma with all of those hookups. And I bought it almost two years ago.

Wouldn’t know about that method, but I’m interested in the responses too.

damn, they didn’t even have any plasmas smaller than 42.

I went in there to just buy a 32" lcd tv. It’s just for my room. but the 60hz refresh rate sucked for hockey. 600hz from the plasma was much better lol

Yeah I love mine. I think this was the only run that any company made a Plasma in 32". Not sure why they stopped making them, but it’s been pretty good to me.

word on the street is they’re manufactured by samsung

I have a DVI - HDMI cable I use from my MBP:

Thats odd, does the back of your tv look like this?

http://images.bestbuy.com:80/BestBuy_US/images/products/9299/9299822_ba.jpg

If not I would take it back and tell them they sold you the wrong tv. I use my MBP to watch movies and tv shows all the time with the HDMI to DVI cable. Flawless picture, you won’t regret it!

Your best bet is to get a 3rd party one…

Apple doesn’t make one because they have no reason to. Apple to apple products don’t use HDMI, or at least its not what they would want to be the primary.

that probably won’t work. if he has a mini DVI… DVI D is full size.

the right one should look more like this

You need 2 adapters. Mini dvi to dvi as well as dvi to HDMI.

Edit, what Dan posted should work too.

I believe they have these wires/adapters at staples

I have a new MBP also with the mini dvi port.
I just use a mini dvi - hdmi adapter I got off of monoprice for less than 10 bucks and a standard audio y cable.

Or if you prefer not to supply your own HDMI cable you can get it without the adapter
mini dvi - hdmi cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5996&seq=1&format=2

Does the new MBP really not have a regular DVI port ?

apple is pushing for mini-dvi port to become an industry standard…and it is working

weird that you dont have a vga.

VGA sucks… thats why

really? macs dont have HDMI? :picard: Ah well, you get what you pay for.

Oh wait.

:lol:

I love my gateway with a HDMI port. Its great becuase one cable for sound and hd video to the TV and all HD tvs have HDMI ports and everyone usually has a cable.

And soon Ethernet…although I think that’s a different HDMI connector

I got my mac pretty decently priced (refurb plus employee discount). Got a free wifi printer as well, and 12 month interest free financing).

Scooped a mini display to dvi and a dvi to hdmi. They took the other ones back no questions even though the VGA cable was open