Complaint v. All major tire shops

So yea I guess some dooosh had some snows slapped on his/her car’s front tires. Went out got into some accident and sued for not having them on the rear or some shit. So now Goodyear,Pep Boys,DunnTire, etc. will not install 2 snow tires on the front of your car regardless what you drive. FWD or RWD , if you buy 2 snow tires they must go on the rear of the vehicle. On a FWD this makes no freeking sense. They say that the rear of the car, the non-powered tires need the snows more than the front, powered wheels. I’m not sure but do any of you who race FWD’s put your slicks on the back for better traction? Just curious.

if you have snows on the front and allseasons or similar on the rear tires will not grip all the same while braking, rear end will kick out and put you in a spin–rear dangerous, thats why

bahhh…been driving that way for 10yrs.

[quote=“Darksyde”"]

On a FWD this makes no freeking sense.

[/quote]

It makes perfect sense.

Simply put the rear tires are going to control yaw. Shitty fronts = controllable(ish) understeer, shitty rears on any car = spinning out

snows tires should control BEHAVIOR, not forward traction

well then its those assholes that crashed that ruined it for you, if you really wanna do it just have them mounted there and rotate them to the back yourself…

^^^^^don’t forget its different if your a experienced driver or not, also the driving conditions play a big role.

your drag racing example is invalid because there are no turns in a drag race… imaging a FWD car with racing slicks for a road course only on the front only, does this make sense? no because you have very uneven levels of traction between the front and back which will make it very hard to control.

in either case you start with extreme understeer followed by a snap to extreme overstreer… not such a good idea.

It’s not “very hard” to control, but you just need to have your wits about you.

I’ve run 225 V710s in the front with 185 streets in the rear and those times were within .3 seconds of running 205 Hoosier R6s at all four corners + a little more experience. The first is definitely a little more “fun”, and the later probably more consistent.

Obviously you need to compensate for tire pressure more to get a little more stiffness, and still be aware the lifting = death. But in that type of environment a person would want to come close to neutral steer, whereas in the snow a person should be concerned with making it home safe.

I will be moving the snows back to the front when they install them. I’m just saying thats its ridiculous to have your powered tires with no traction. FWD sucks balls in the snow to begin with let alone without traction on the front. Just for my personal experiance I think it’s dumb.

The vast majority of drivers are stupid. Even more of them are cheap. I’m honestly happy car tire places have this policy because it makes it harder for these cheap idiots from totally fucking up the handling of their vehicles.

If you’re too cheap to buy 2 more snows and determined to drive that way just rotate the tires when you get home. I don’t care if you’re a pro rally driver, on the street you’re a lot safer with 4 snows than 2, especially if you’re putting them only on the front.

In no way am I saying it’s safer with 2 snows over 4 that would be stupid.

[quote=“Darksyde,post:11,topic:39169"”]

In no way am I saying it’s safer with 2 snows over 4 that would be stupid.

[/quote]

And you gotta agree that the majority of people on the road are pretty awful drivers. That’s why these policies exist. :shrug:

[quote=“JayS,post:12,topic:39169"”]

And you gotta agree that the majority of people on the road are pretty awful drivers. That’s why these policies exist. :shrug:

[/quote]

point taken.

normally on a fwd vehicle most places say all 4 or nothing, honestly i agree with them

even tire rack doesnt want to sell 2 only

[quote=“L8APEX1,post:14,topic:39169"”]

normally on a fwd vehicle most places say all 4 or nothing, honestly i agree with them

[/quote]

:word: I was just gnna go with 2 new snows in the back of my truck and keep the fronts but I said fuck it. Went to 2dayparts.com and got 4 winterforce tires for $202 + $70 shipping. Got them mounted at work so it was free woot.

Not smart to play it chiep when it comes to your tires.

but 202 is pretty cheap for tires and u dont need snows ona truck

studded snows on the front and bald all seasons out back make civics fun

[quote=“fairgentleman Z,post:4,topic:39169"”]

It makes perfect sense.

Simply put the rear tires are going to control yaw. Shitty fronts = controllable(ish) understeer, shitty rears on any car = spinning out

snows tires should control BEHAVIOR, not forward traction

[/quote]

well said. thats all the explanation you should need.