Compressed air setup HALP

So I got the new big hoss compressor up and going but have yet to install because I’d like to redo the air setup in the shop at the same time… The compressor specs are 10HP, 4 cyl 2 stage, 32cfm @175psi.

Shop temp is set at 60deg F.

Do I need a refrigerated air dryer or just a filter regulator after the compressor? What should I charge the lines to in the shop? The min has to be 145 because that’s what the tire machine needs.

I figured i’d have a drier / filter right after the compressor, then a regulator / dryer at each outlet with the hose reel outlets getting a lubricator as well. The tire machine has 2 built in lubricators so I don’t need one there. The tire machine is by far the biggest air hog in the shop: 12cfm @145psi.

What do I need? Should I leave my existing PVC or ditch it and get something that isn’t going to turn into a bunker buster should i hit it with a hammer??

Thanks in advance!!

This is DannyBoy level nerdery right here.

My only concern is the pressure rating/schedule of the PVC. I’d read the rating printed on it and go from there. Keep in mind that you want a gas (air) rating. I’ve seen PVC only rated for water/liquid use (pressurized water does not = pressurized gas). I’ll assume since you installed it that this was considered.

What’s the operating psi of your existing setup?

Most PVC is rated for liquid use only. I think it’s best to use steel pipe for air. Plus PVC becomes brittle over time.

You only need a refrigerated air drier if moisture in the air system is a concern. Not a big deal for your impact guns, ratchets, chisels, etc. maybe the tire machine is a concern. I don’t know? If you’re going to do any painting, air quality is PARAMOUNT.

I have never seen an air drier in a home garage, even more serious one such as yours, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong there. :wink:

lol my PVC is liquid only… which is the hole point of updating… currently the air lines are charged to 125 max psi. and when the tire machine is running the shit is lucky to stay at 90. LOL.

I’m thinking of going to 3/4" black iron sloped to the ends with turn downs and t’s to keep moisture out of the hose reels etc.

No painting happening at all. I don’t have patience for that bullshit.

Also going to get some self retracting hose reels… can anybody recommend any good ones that aren’t $300 ea like the fucking ones at grainger??

Hose reels…

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/SearchServlet/Hose-Tube-Fittings-Valves/Blow-Guns-Hose-Reels-Hose-Accessories/Hose-Reels/Hose-Reels/_/N-77g3g?refinement=4291502527&searchandizedOk=Y&currentMSCtt=air+hose+reel&currentRawInput=air+hose+reel%A2air+hose+reel&currentMSCtk=All_MSC&currentMSCtx=mode+matchallpartial

Didn’t check the price from McMaster Carr but thats the link to there hoses, not sure what specs you were looking for.

They sell PVC just meant for this. Rated at 600psi burst pressure. Heavier schedule rating than plumbing pipe. There’s no way in hell you’d ever rupture that unless it was under pressure and on fire. It’s gray, orange,or black in color depending on the manufacture, not the typical white. UV protected as well, unlike the white plumbing plastic which is why that stuff gets brittle over time.

You can run metal obviously, just costly, but I’ve had zero problems running ~130-135 psi through 3/4" PVC here for more years than I can remember. And, if it ever does rupture in the event something smashes the line I can have it repaired and back up and running in under ten minutes.

Refrigerated air dryers are nice. Required for sensitive equipment and or HVAC, like my cnc machines. If you want to plug one in they’re definitely worth it as the air is always dry. As danny said though, overkill for a gernearl shop and it’s realted equipment. A good size desiccant dryer would suffice just fine in your application. If you’re going to paint and/or spray resins you must have 1005 dry air and that’s where the dryer will pay for itself.

Orrrrrr…run the PVC up high and out of harms way and run line drops down the wallss in metal where ever needed. That way if your clumsy temperamental ass tosses a hammer you won’t break shit :smiley:

nah i don’t have any of that shit running here. Just the tire machine and air tools. i’ll probably do the air rated pvc way up high like you said. drops are still gonna be pvc though, esp if the shit’s rated for it.

Hannay reels. Buy locally manufactured goods, get + karma.

http://www.hannay.com/index.asp

Hannay Reels are AWESOME. All the plants around here have them. Bulletproof.

Schedule 80 PVC is what BoxerSix is talking about.

where can i buy the hannay shit? They don’t sell em from the website. Anybody got a hook up?

My 'ol man used iron pipe in the whole garage for his set up. Its been up for 15 years, never had a leak. Just standard moisture collectors before each quick connect.