Computer Gurus

So, I don’t want to run a cable into my bedroom and have a Linksys wireless router, but one of my lap tops doesn’t have a wireless card. But, I do have a linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter 802.11G 2.4GHz WUSB54G. It worked fine before, but the computer crashed so I had to reload the OS XP. I did that, but now I don’t have the install for the network adapter. I found this on the web: WIRELESS ADAPTER DRIVER but it doesn’t recognize it. Am I doing something wrong or does it not worky?

It looks like this:

http://www.ateck.com/catalog/sm_images/wusb54g.jpg

save ur self the time,just pm xlogicx

:kekegay:

When you plug that adapter into the laptop do you get an icon that pops up at the bottom right of the screen? And when you say it doesn’t recognize it, what kinda error message are you getting? Did you let WIndows search automatically for the best driver, or did you choose to search manually?

:rofl:

I have the same adapter. If I recall, you need to install the drivers first. Before you plug it in.

I believe you’re right, but XP SP2 has better wireless than most 3rd party software: I recommend trying without linksys connecting software (install software and disable the linksys control software). I noticed a reasonable increase in wireless speed on my laptop.

:nuts:

I run the Intel PROset software and even that works a lot better than windows. Windows wireless is OK at best.

That is why I said most 3rd party software.

Intel might work better than Windows, but Windows is far, FAR superior to Linksys and Netgear’s bullshit wireless utilities. I can’t stand either one of them. I get much better results with WIndows wireless setup. I can’t recall using Intels tho except on my Dad’s laptop and it was good enough to not bother comparing it to Windows.

I may have had bad luck with the windows wireless then. My laptop wouldn’t connect to anything with it, I then downloaded the intel one and it worked great. I used the linksys software a while ago and it wasn’t to bad. I am not a fan of windows built in wireless.

x2

pewter is funny.

save ur self the time,just pm xlogicx

LOL!

if i were you i’d scrap the idea of using microsofts built in wireless crap. it would never work with any of my wireless cards on my PC (and others) and it’s always a good practice to use the same manufacturer for everything i.e. your router/wireless adapter/driver. Especially if you ever need to call in to their tech support for something.

copy the link below and follow the directions. It’s a link to the driver you need to install on your laptop. save it somewhere and when finished run the program but do not connect your wireless adapter until it either says to connect it or after you have finished the install and have restarted the laptop. once you have connected the adapter it may display at bubble in your system tray (next to the time). It should scan for new hardware and find the driver automatically and when done it will display something like “the hardware is installed and ready to use.” at this point the wireless adapter should begin scanning for wireless networks. if not then you may need to open the app buy going into start - programs - and then selecting the software app from the list.
assuming you do not have WEP or WPA setup on your router then the adapter will connect to the first wireless connection it fines. make sure it is yours and not your neighbors. if you do have encryption set then you will need to provide the wireless software with the ‘key’

Good luck and PM me if you need help.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859843775&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4377537314B299&displaypage=download

Val check the exact model number again…there are so many different ver’s and rev’s of the driver software.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416835852&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I think I found it and Peterock I think has the install CD…thx for the link BeRad it’s Version 4.0

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=page%3D2%26cid%3D1115416835852%26c%3DL_Content_C1&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&SubmittedElement=Linksys%2FFormSubmit%2FProductDownloadSearch&sp_prodsku=1115416827622

And it woorks…thanks all :bigthumb:

the previous driver I downloaded didn’t want to cooperate :weak: