computer guys...(malware/windows 7/what do you think question)

heres the background story:

one day my antivirus trial period ends. I forget to get a new antivirus software. one day later there is this “malware defense” sheild on my computers desktop. I look into it and its some sort of virus that “looks” as though its legit software for you computer but has no trademark of anysort and is not registered with windows/microsoft. so i remove the program from my hd. next day its there again. I say its time for new antivirus software. I read the threads graciously provided by you guys n gals on new antivirus protection and decide to try the malwarebytes. i go to the website, download the software and install the program. to to start up the program and nothing happens. I figure maybe my computer doesnt want to like malewarebytes so i dl a trial version of norton 360. download the program install it and AGAIN, doesnt want to open the program up whatsoever after its been installed. Also i can not connect to the internet when these two programs were installed onto my computer. after i deleted them…internet works. I never use IE always use mozilla. I was thinking of wiping my hd clean and start fresh then dl the malwarebytes software but if you guys can think of any other suggestions, im all ears. I have XP but was thinking of upgrading to 7. what do you guys think? any suggestions comments help is being considered and thanks in advance!

Malwarebytes

teamed with

Microsoft Security Essentials.

The real malware program is actually blocking malwarebytes from running, updating, etc. It’s a pain in the ass and there are several incarnations of it, but no need to starting fresh just yet (unless u want)

1. Safe Mode (if you can)
  2. Get rid of malwarebytes completely. Re-DL it, but name the installer file that gets downloaded something else before you run it. Install it to a different folder than its preselected default, and then copy and re-name the executable “mbam.exe” to “xxxx.bat”.
  3. Run the xxxx.bat file (does the same thing as the exe)
  • DL Microsoft Security Essentials * as stated above. It catches almost everything.

I’m sick of this virus already. I have no idea how people get it, but at least half a dozen of my friends have brought me their piece of shit computers with the same virus on it. Even my father got it.

I would nuke the drive, and start again, with a fresh installation, all the service updates, then put microsoft security essentials on it, and put it behind a NAT firewall.

I see no point in using trial antivirus software now when MS is offering it for free.

I have used that Malwarebytes before, but I prefer just to nuke the drive and start again.

In 99 percent of applications I would not upgrade to windows 7 unless you have a pretty fast system. The money you spent towards a windows 7 license could be spent towards a 400 dollar computer that will probably be faster, and already come with windows on it.

the virus blocks malwarebytes from starting so you need to install it in safe mode then scan in safe mode to get rid of it. you have to stop its processes first though before you do all that

Absolutely no reason to nuke the drive. As stated above if malwarebytes can’t run in windows regularly, then boot in safe mode (F8). I also use the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows, which creates a virtual environment without even loading into windows. It allows you to edit the registry, use a bunch of tools, and if you build it right a version of malwarebytes. If anyone wants me to upload my version of the UBCD4 Windows, I will.

I disagree. The computers I have seen, owned by people who have no business owning a computer, are totally compromised.

Many of them have no firewall, out of date “trial” antivirus installed from the factory and never updated, or no antivirus software at all.

These are the types of people that click accept to everything, install a shitload of plugins, search bars, coupon printers, file sharing, you name it.

Running malwarebytes isn’t going to restore a computer like this to a state that would be acceptable to me.

I have idiot friends who have screwed up their xp based computers so bad within a months time it is unreal. It has gotten to the point with some of them, that I have installed LINUX on the machine, and have not had a problem since.

Some people just want a box that they can surf the internet on, and type out a resume.

If you have a real idiot of a friend, or a friend with a kid that keeps fucking up the computer, then put linux on it with a decent GUI, and tell them to go to town.

The average user has 0 idea of computer security.

I agree most people have no idea about security. I have laptops so bad that have come into work, that I’m forced to physically remove the drive just to scan it. Scanning the drive with a few tools Malwarebytes, MSE, usually wipes out all the problem malware/viruses. Uninstall all the bloatware, and garbage programs. Install all window updates, upgrade firmware (where needed), BIOS (often prevents Blue Screens), and drivers if needed. This usually gets the computers running smoothly again. While the easiest way may be blowing out the computer and reinstalling, it’s usually not the only option nor most efficient. Especially since 98% of users don’t back things up.

Blowing away the computer and not figuring out how you got the virus in the first place :tif:

It’s extremely important to keep your browser, flash player, and adobe reader updated.

Easy fix for this one.

Safe mode, scripts a file that will kill all the services the virus is running.
Run malwarebytes and remove all traces.
Install new AV software and stay up to date on all software updates.

another vote for safemode

also, make sure that ALL previous anti-virus software is removed before installing one

+1 there isn’t a reason for 2 AVs. If one isn’t cutting it, then move to another. Make sure your definitions are up-to-date also…I’ve seen to many times, people with multiple AVs with out-of-date definitions and expired subscriptions.

Yes the safe mode malewarebytes is your first step.

I’m using avast, spybot search and destroy, and defender.
Malewarebytes and ccleaner standing by.

fwiw my laptop I upgraded to windows 7 pro has been running like a champ. Using very little ram too. 2gb total, it’s using 500mb idle. I wouldn’t be scared of win7. With vista business the same machine took about 1200mb just idling.

gl

Thanks for the input everyone…i tried the safemode and try installing the malwarebytes again but no luck. same with the Microsoft Security Essentials program. im gonna try to use badasses idea. Im not thegreatest at comuter junk but learning as i go. Ill keep you updated after i try it out! again thanks to all!

Run this before you run malwarebytes:

I’ve had good luck lately with safe mode, then restore to a previous date.

tried to find the exe file and can not find it. am i just an idiot?

I like collecting builds like this. I’d like to try it out if you upload. :slight_smile:

I did less building it, than just throwing some tweaks to get it where I like it. I will upload it. Are torrents ok?

I can do torrents. How big is it?