computer help needed

Something happened in the last 10 minutes that makes my computer restart and fucks up other shit.

It also changed the homepage to google from msn.

When I use a search site and click on a link it opens a new window with something other than what the link is for and wont let me open what I want.

For some reason Ive never been able to do a system restore on this computer either.

Its also blocking me from downloading Windows Defender which should be able to fix it.

Theres also a dialog box by the clock that says something about my computer being infected and when I click on it it tries downloading Antivirus Pro 2009.

Virus potential. Do you have AVG installed? Let’s start with a simple virus scan.

I dont have that and I dont think I can download it.

Download AVG and try that.

Need to start somewhere. Microsoft Defender is not enough protection.

Im downloading it now but its going slowly. I hope the computer doesnt automatically restart again in the middle of the download but it probably will

Do you have anything to back up? I’d do that immediately and consider doing a reformat.

Ive just got some pics and stuff saved. How do I back them up?

The computer just restarted with 3% of avg downloaded.

Depends how much file space those files take up. Burn a DVD/Save to a network location/USB key/etc… If you have a lot of applications that you can’t easily replace and/or a lot of data to back up, you might want to consider fixing the problem. However, I got a feeling your PC is fucked. :slight_smile:

Really all I need are some pics Ive got from car shows. Everything else can be downloaded again.

Im completely clueless about computers so I dont know how to do anything like back ups and stuff.

Try closing off some programs and processes (press Control+Alt+Del to access task manager). If there are some weird programs that are running you can end them and it might buy you some time to save documents and/or download AVG.

Borrow a USB key from a friend and drag the files onto the KEY. Someone should help you. If I was closer, I would.

I got what I needed onto a cd.

I reinstalled windows and hopefully everything stays working.

Yeah, have to do that to this POS here. I had to order a new master reboot CD as I lost this one, but went ahead and backed up all my important files(CAD stuff, wifes business files, etc) and burned all the baby pics to CD’s. Gonna wipe this bitch clean and start over from when it was new again and just reload what’s necessary.

M Defender isn’t great. I like AVG like Shawn said. Works quite well, but nothing is 1005 foolproof these days.

Im downloading AVG now.

I still dont know what happened before but rebooting seemed to fix it.

Rebooting or reinstall?

reinstalled using the windows disc. I always mix up those two words.

two months ago i fixed a machine with this same shit on it. i formatted it clean and reinstalled, with AVG on it afterwards. It fucks your machine up retty bad. it gets worse every time you try clicking that “windows defender” bullshit. That thing’s done. Reformat it.

Download Avast Antivirus

its free and when done installing it will run a boot time scan before the operating system has a chance to boot up to make sure everything is gone

Malwarebyte anti malware will also get rid of it, as i just removed this same trojoan (Antirvirus Pro) off a computer a couple days ago