Computer Issues F*CK

So as some of you may know I built a computer the other day.
No surprise that I am having issues with it right now.

Here is my set up

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo 4 F Motherboard
Leadtek GeForce 6600 256mb video card
1GB Crucial DDR400 RAM
200GB Maxtor SATA HD
Antec TruePower 430watt PSU
LiteOn DVD burner

I cannot play Far Cry even on the lowest settings without it locking up.
I have no idea what the problem is. I loaded all the newest platform and videocard drivers from nVidia and the fucker still doesn’t work right.

Also, sometime while I am just doing standard shit like Internet Explorer it will lock up.

I am getting really pissed.

Any ideas???

maybe cooling issues with your video card…

check your event log… maybe its the os

Event log? Hmmm

Ok I’m a newb to this whole computer building thing. Where is that?

go to the Leadtek site and check all the FAQs and furums.

It may be a video or video memory usage settings problem in the motherboard setup.
Usually they have you disable shadowing and other such shit in the bios setup.

Run memtest86.
doit.
you may have a bad stick of ram and then your compy pretty much fucks you over whenever it damn well pleases.
also make sure things are not getting hothothot.

http://www.memtest86.com/

right click my computer go to manage… click on event viewer… look for the red icons… those are bad :slight_smile:

I looked at memtest86 before but I was unclear as to how to use it.

I don’t think heat is my issue. I checked in the BIOS H/W monitor and the highest temps I have seen are 94*F

Got it. Yup lots o’ red.

what viewer are they under… read the errors… thats your problem,

Mostly system, but there are some under application.

Under system I see

Service Control Manager
DCOM
sfsync02

as the sources.

Under application it just says “Application error”

did you go to windoes update yet?

I have it set to notify me when updates are available. I downloaded Service Pack 2 and whatever accompanies that.

did you reinstall your video card drivers after sp2 install?

Yeah I reinstalled the Nforce Platform driver and the nvidia drivers from the website.

Wow i have alot of red also…how do i fix them? windows update? i have mine set to auto but i thinbk my firewall in Z/A is blocking access

Try unplugging and reinserting your ram modules. Also check that the cpu is totally inserted. Sometimes the dudes that put it in your motherboard when you buy it don’t get it just right. Those AMD’s are twitchy. Also, recheck that all the cards are seated fully. Usually bad connections are a BIG prob. I know, built many PC,s myself. Windows XP is good at clearing up software issues. Sounds to me like a hardware prob.

My inclination was hardware as well. It would suck if that were the case. I had the RAM, CPU, and Mobo assembled and tested when I ordered it.

Try using only 1 stick of ram at a time and playing farcry.

Is farcry the only game it does it in? Any updates for farcry?

Right click my computer/properties/hardware/device manager.Do you see any exclamation points?

Did you install your motherboard drivers?

What chipset is the motherboard?

VIA or Nvidia?

on a side note, farcry had TONS of sound card issues, which caused lockups etc in game

its certainly not your problem, but if you get past your issue now and are stumped by a new one, check out the farcry forums for a sound fix =)