Threw this together a while back but never put a thread up. Since I won’t be able to find it on FB in a couple years figured I’d post it up here.
Started with building a sturdy base. Plan was for this to be pretty rustic looking so went with 2x4 and 4x4 lumber, sanded nice and smooth, then used kreg joints and glue to hold it together.
Stained a nice dark color. Can’t find any pictures of it after the polyurethane.
Then started working on the form for the top using melamine board. Since the concrete facing the boards will be the finished side you caulk around the edges to get a rounded edge on the concrete.
Not pictured, doing the pour or the rebar and re-mesh reinforcements that were embedded. I was a sweaty mess covered in concrete after hand mixing and pouring and couldn’t get any pictures. I do have a post pour picture after screeding it. It took several days to cure and I kept it wrapped in plastic and wet it to prevent it from curing too fast and cracking. I also vibrated the crap out of the mold using my sander and sawzall to get as many air bubbles out as possible. I used Quikrete 5000 and one bottle of their charcoal concrete coloring per bag (pour took almost 3 bags).
I don’t own a wet sander so I rolled the top out in my driveway, put on a good dust mask and went to town using 220 grit in my random orbital, then 320, then hand wet sanding with 800 grit.
Sealed with Cheng food grade concrete sealer
And the final product
If I were doing it again I wouldn’t go quite as thick and maybe mess around with floating some foam inside the concrete to lighten it up. As it is it takes two strong guys to move it. The top is easily removed from the base because I never glued it on. Instead I got it perfectly centered then glued four plywood squares under it at each corner along the inside edge of the base to prevent it from being able to shift. It’s a pretty cool conversation piece that I have about $100 in supplies into.