Confession of a Motorcycle Thief

…You are now going to read the following with the generic “hide-your-identity” altered voice …:rofl Enjoy!

EX Thief & “chop-shop” operator AMA (self.motorcycles)
submitted 1 day ago by tremendousguilt

I’m leaving for now (Friday evening), only thought I would do this Thursday, probably won’t be back on until Sunday night

I expected and deserve DIAF responses. I’m shocked at how nice and positive you have (mostly) all been. I’m sorry to all of you that have ever lost a bike. I regret my past choices and wish there was something more I could say. I’m very sorry.

Was linked to this thread by a friend last night.

Reddit - Dive into anything

Thought about it and responded today.

Thanks to zitacos for helping me figure out how to make a thread. He’s not who sent me to reddit. I just responded in the other thread and posted that I didn’t know how to make a thread here. He helped me with that. I’ve used “normal” forums before, but never anything like this.

I’ll probably copy/paste from the other thread, but I figure I’ll start with some background.

I’m not exactly sure how I ended up with this life. I was basically a normal American kid who was very shy and did well in school. My best friend was basically a dirtbag and he made it seem cool to be a dirtbag. I started off dropping him off at bikes to steal, then scouting out bikes for him to steal, then helping him steal bikes, then stealing them together.

I figured out quickly that the guys we sold the bikes to made more money and assumed far less risk so I saved my money so I could get on that end of things.

I considered myself small time but I was involved in the scene for over 10 years. While my name was brought up in investigations I was never charged with a crime related to this business and I never “informed” on anyone. I quit when I felt the risk exceeded the reward. Maybe it was the guilt, the shame, maybe I was just finally growing up. I lived a lie for a long time and even if no one knew it I was painfully embarrassed inside because of the life I had been leading. I love motorcycles and I was the man responsible for that sickening feeling you have when you wake up to realize your baby has been stolen and I was responsible for it A LOT. Towards the end I would sleep in sweat pants and a hoodie because I knew any day my door was going to be kicked in and I wanted to be comfortable as possible in jail.

I’ve been out of it all for 4-5 years and I still am trying to figure out how I became that guy.

I don’t believe in a higher power, but for everything I got from that life I’ve lost pretty much all of it. So maybe there is some sort of karma out there. I did use the income earned during that period to put myself through college, but other than that, I’ve lost all material things. I can’t be mad, I certainly deserve this, as I write this I’m days from having to crash on a friend’s couch or spare bedroom and I’m in my 30’s. I have less than $500 to my name and 1 job offer that’s not so promising. The desire to just grab a few bikes or even one is very strong, but I look at it like a drug addict. No one just has one more shot of heroin, ya know? This is my time to harden up, be a man, and play the hand I’ve been dealt without breaking the rules just like everyone else.

Had a lot of similar posts and messages, supersporsts or similar (some sport touring, naked bikes, Ninja 250s, etc.) bikes are the most commonly targeted as well as Harleys, generally 0-3 years old, rarely more than 10 years old. Custom choppers, cafes, and bobbers get targeted, but as far as I’m aware they are much further down the list. After that it’s pretty rare that a bike is stolen. Well, dirtbikes, but that’s more of an opportunistic jackass than a "professional.

Full link with more Q&A comments Here: Reddit - Dive into anything

Related link Here: Reddit - Dive into anything

Break this fingers than tazer his nuts for good measure.