Considering a new bike...

I’ve been thinking of picking up a new bike. Actually, i’ve been wanting to get another bike for a very long time.

I first started riding on the street out in California on an 82 Midnight Maxim 750. I got a cheap deal on an 85 Honda Interceptor 500 that was pretty awesome. Fast forward a few years to Hawaii and my 91 Yamaha FZR 600 that I picked up for $1000.

My main motivator for wanting another bike is the joy of riding. Followed very closely by fuel economy. There are quite a few bikes that get really good mileage.

The main purpose of the bike would be daily commuter. I would be making a 10 mile, 1 way trip from Elizabeth Township to West Mifflin.

I have looked at a ton of bikes, but really do not want to lay out a ton of cash. I really like the Duke, the Super Duke, the Street Triple, and a few others. They all are in the 10 Grand range.

I could probably put together 2-3 grand in a month for a used bike, but run the risk of buying used. I am wouldn’t mind trying to find another Inteceptor or VFR 700 or another mid-90s 600cc Sportbike.

I could also pick up a 250 Ninja. They have been restyled and look pretty good for 08. They only run about $3500.

Anyone on here have any experience with the 250 Ninjas? Most of the people that I talked to really love the bikes. Easy to ride, good daily commuters, easy to maintain, reliable, and fuel efficient with some people quoting 60 MPG.

Thoughts?

If you like the sport bike style there really is no better value than the 250 ninja…the new body style looks great…but they do lack power…

but from what your saying that bike sounds perfect for you…especially at 3499 brand new…

You’d be bored with that Ninja 250 in a couple days, they honestly have no balls. Go with an older 600, should be able to snag a mid to late 90’s for $3000. Most get 50+mpg on the highway.

if you are worried more about commuting than performance, then 08 ninja 250 is all you. it looks sick, gets great mpg and saves on insurance.

How much do you weigh? Unless you are like 150lbs, I would go with somthing bigger than the 250.

I am 5’9" and weight about 220.

I think I am going to find someone that has a 250 and go test ride it.

The thing that bothers me about the sport bikes is that it is tough to calculate the “beat factor”.

good input. Thanks. Still paintballin?

I haven’t had time. I would like to get out a few time this summer though.