Convention Center Floor Collapses

Haha…the company I work for designed that

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07036/759613-100.stm

By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Some streets around the David Lawrence Convention Center in Downtown Pittsburgh were blocked off starting around 2 p.m. today because of an accident.

A steel beam and a high lift fell from the ceiling above the walkway under the convention center. A tractor trailer in the convention center could be seen straddling a hole left in the floor of the convention center, just above where the beam fell.

A person in the truck was able to escape.

No injuries were reported. The convention center was evacuated; those inside, mostly workers for an upcoming auto show, gathered in a ballroom of the Westin hotel across the street.

The tractor-trailer was bringing in equipment for the show.

Martin Cowper of Exhibit Works of Michigan said he was inside working to set up for the show when he heard a very loud crash. A high lift that had been used inside near the truck fell to the ground below, together with the beam, and portions of flooring. “It made a hell of a noise,” Mr. Cowper said.

City Public Works Director Guy Costa went to the scene and said engineers would be sent in soon to evaluate the damage.

Officials announced today that the 11th Street entrance to the convention center parking garage will be open tomorrow, but the 10th Street entrance nearest to the collapse site will be closed. The garge holds 700 vehicles, and about 550 cars usually park there daily.

makes me want to go to more convention center events even more now.

that sucks.but kinda funny also.

so i guess the auto show will be cancelled?

What is scary about that floor issue is it is designed for how it was being used and right beside an expansion joint. There is support beams right there.

Out of the whole building that area is a normal design, isn’t anything that hasn’t been done before. They must of spent too much time in designing the first roof of its kind. Basically what I am saying, that part of the structure is the last thing I would of imagine failing. Scary.

so what’s the situation with the auto show?

Nothing like Company Pride!

lol i agree, thats one of the last parts i think would fail

From what some people that work for the GPADA it should still continue without any other problems, there are other areas to load…

I would’ve thought Century 3 mall would collapse before that. With all of the stress cracks you see in the floors in that place, and the pillars

wild

I guess there were a few companies…mine was one of them…I ma not a designer or engineer…just work with the finances

I’d be concerned about the entire building. If there is a design issue then it could happen elsewhere. And if it’s a construction/fabrication problem like incorrect welding, bad materials, etc, then who says other parts aren’t bad too? Sounds like either way, the whole building would have to be inspected. And if there are places that aren’t visible I have a feeling it won’t be quick or cheap.

Or you just blow it off and go on with life. :slight_smile:

I’d be more likely to believe it’s material defect than an engineering fault, I’d have to imagine the engineers got double-guessed a few times, and checked over…

just breaking stones bics56, I woulda laughed too, then proceeded to walk down the hall to see who I could point at and laugh

wow that is :nuts:

i dont know much about engineering, but I’d imagine there is quite a bit of redundancy built it as far as safety goes. With all the hoops I have to jump through just to make alterations to a swimming pool, I’d imagine its 10x as involved to get stuff like this approved with the state. Sounds like bad materials to me.

saw that on the news last night…wow

probably japaneese steel.

I don’t think this is as uncommon as all think. Watch the History channel some time, they have a show called something like engineered disasters…