Convert Auto to Manual tranny 1988 honda civic dx

hello everyone, i was wondering if someone could show me some pics or maybe explain how to covert a automatic to a manual transmission, as i hear from many people this is not a very hard task it takes some time… i would like to do an engine swap, and covert my car to manual. please help!!!

its not hard. but mechanical knowledge and experience is a must. i’ve done about 10 of them. GOOGLE SEARCH.

easy here is a list

clutch pedal
slave cyl
some tubing so u can plumb the system
clutch,pressure plate and flywheel
trans
and u will have to work out the neutral safety switch so u can get it to start its normally the 2 biggest wires in the trans harness

1988?! Please tell me your car is in showroom mint condition with low miles and quite possibly even a concours winner. If not, save your money for a car that’s already a manual.

its a cable transmission…not hydraulic

you will also need a different cluster I believe. Unless you want it to say P N D D3 D2 D2 still.

oh… im not really up on my hondas so then that makes it even easyer

dude, shut up. do you know how hard it is to find ANY clean EFs? autos are usually in better shape.

you need to swap the entire pedal assembly in an EF, not just a clutch pedal. the NSS can be bypassed in the shifter harness, and the reverse lights are in the same harness. you can use the same cluster and ECU, but the ecu will throw a code, and the cluster will just have P lit up all the time.

Ohhhhh that makes more sense than how the dumbass explained it to me when I was going to manual swap my ek.

He’s right about the pedals though, they all need to be swapped. The brake pedal is wide in a auto car, it interferes with the clutch pedal.

x2

this guy knows his shit :tup:

Didn’t I say don’t waste your time unless it’s clean? You don’t have very good reading skills, do you? I actually like these old civics, my friend had one back in the day when I had my cavaliers, it’s cool as shit. The fact is the only ones you see around are shot, just like the 1st gen cavaliers like I used to drive. If it’s rusty and beat up, it’s worthless now.

Well on my 240sx I just used a sawsall to chop the brake pedal while it was still in the car, just had to cover the carpet, then I trimmed the pedal cover and RTVed in place

It worked fine in the s13, this could be tried in the Civic
And you might as well spend the 30 bucks and get a manual ECU

i was thinking the same thing about “trimming” the brake pedal, although I have absolutely no swap experience. Also, isn’t a manual ecu a necessity?

No a manual ECU isn’t necessary for the car to run, however there is a good chance you will get a CEL if the transmission has any form of electronic controls.

I don’t see the point of coverting your car to manual, even if it is the cleanest car evaaaarrrrrrrr. It’s a 1988. I was born in 1988! Ha.

its not worth imo. just buy a already MT car.

Do you know anything? These swaps are stupid fucking easy. If you have a quarter of a brain you can do this swap in a day with the necessary tools and parts. I’ve had a motor out and in, in a day. This isn’t hard, it’s a honda.

Agreed. I did it in my accord in 5 hours. I had a lift and the pedals were already swapped in, that was the hard part

the auto ecu will just mess with the car when u push the clutch in. with the auto ecu the revs wont drop right away when u push the cltuch in they kinda hang for a bit then drop down to idle.
i dont know about the hondas AT trans, but if there is a park selector switch u need to make sure its in park or neutral or the car wont start. ( the computer will still think the auto trans is in gear)

ok then…if he does the work to do this. He can then give me his ECU, and I’ll convert it to a manual ECU for a small fee.